Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi we got our first lab puppy 5 days ago he is brillant in his crate at night, so socialable but toilet training is a nightmare. He did his first poop outside today but I have taken him outside when I know he needs to go since and nothing, but as soon as he comes in the house he does it on the puppy pad. Any tips would be very helpful x

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Get rid of the puppy pad. He’s learning that the pad is the place to toilet, not outside. Outside after sleep, after, play, after food, after drink. Praise when he does it in your chosen place. Build in a word for toileting. I use Quick quick or be quick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi we got our first lab puppy 5 days ago he is brillant in his crate at night, so socialable but toilet training is a nightmare. He did his first poop outside today but I have taken him outside when I know he needs to go since and nothing, but as soon as he comes in the house he does it on the puppy pad. Any tips would be very helpful x
View attachment 26527
I absolutely agree with Maddie. I used puppy pads with my first pup and the whole process took a very long time. Our pup is now 10 weeks old, clean and dry overnight in her crate, though we still give her four hourly pit stop opportunities)
It's a case of frequent trips outside ,use your key words, ours is busy busy. We do before and after meals, after she takes a big drink and of course if she's starts the tell tale sniffing and circling, it's at least once an hour to start with, usually more! There will be puddles indoors, clear those up quickly with no fuss made ,using bio powder washing solution. But you will also catch a lot of your pups wees/poos outdoors too, give lots of praise and a piece of kibble as a treat if you feel it helps reinforce the training. There will inevitably be frustrating times when your pup comes in from outdoors having done nothing and immediately puddles on the carpet - take a deep breath and carry on. Nine times out of ten when our Jas has an accident it's because of forgetfulness on our part.
We are so pleased with Jas's toilet training progress and she is still just a baby, most of her wees are now outdoors and she sits by the door and ' asks ' to go out for a poo!
All of the above I've learned from this website, it really is an invaluable help, especially for us newbies 🙂
Good luck, let us know how it goes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I absolutely agree with Maddie. I used puppy pads with my first pup and the whole process took a very long time. Our pup is now 10 weeks old, clean and dry overnight in her crate, though we still give her four hourly pit stop opportunities)
It's a case of frequent trips outside ,use your key words, ours is busy busy. We do before and after meals, after she takes a big drink and of course if she's starts the tell tale sniffing and circling, it's at least once an hour to start with, usually more! There will be puddles indoors, clear those up quickly with no fuss made ,using bio powder washing solution. But you will also catch a lot of your pups wees/poos outdoors too, give lots of praise and a piece of kibble as a treat if you feel it helps reinforce the training. There will inevitably be frustrating times when your pup comes in from outdoors having done nothing and immediately puddles on the carpet - take a deep breath and carry on. Nine times out of ten when our Jas has an accident it's because of forgetfulness on our part.
We are so pleased with Jas's toilet training progress and she is still just a baby, most of her wees are now outdoors and she sits by the door and ' asks ' to go out for a poo!
All of the above I've learned from this website, it really is an invaluable help, especially for us newbies 🙂
Good luck, let us know how it goes
So we have got rid of the pad, taken him out at every opportunity but he seems to get distracted with other things in the garden, he did a pee outside so I praised him so much gave him treats basically had a party. He then came back in and did a pee in the living room. When do you use the word as he is doing it or as you take him out. Sorry we are totally new to this and we want to get it right x

·
Registered
22 Posts
So we have got rid of the pad, taken him out at every opportunity but he seems to get distracted with other things in the garden, he did a pee outside so I praised him so much gave him treats basically had a party. He then came back in and did a pee in the living room. When do you use the word as he is doing it or as you take him out. Sorry we are totally new to this and we want to get it right x
So, don't use the trigger word or words until you are outside. Stay calm, he will get distracted, if necessary gently guide him back to the business in hand! I repeat the trigger words calmly until a wee or poo is done. Then, lots of praise, get excitement into your voice if you can, no more than one small treat. At first the puddling indoors carries on at such a rate that you'll feel it's a waste of time.....it isn't......hold fast....
Consistency really is the key here, and repetition, it is rather boring I'm afraid 😀 but believe me pays off big time. Our girl, 10 weeks, no puddles indoors yesterday at all, all poos outdoors, only got up with her once last night, very quick then back in crate until 06.15 which is pretty good going for a young puppy. Never worry about asking, that's what this site is for, I've had so much support and good advice from it already.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

1 - 6 of 6 Posts