Labradors Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya
I was just wondering how you all chose your names for your labs? There are some really cool names!!
I chose Toffee and Popcorn because I love the stuff and it just suited them especially popcorn who is mentle!
Chris :wink:

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
How we got Corbie's name is very educational :D and we actually chose it a year ago before we even started our search for a pup!

We do a lot of hillwalking here in Scotland and the peaks above 3000ft are called Munros (my fiance's auntie had a big Mastiff dog called Munro named after that) and the next height group down is classified as Corbett so that's what we chose.

I shortened it to Corbie as I thought it was better to call him that than Corbett otherwise everyone would think he was named after Ronnie :lol:

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
when i first saw max he had such a cheeky little look on his face. so i decided to name him after a lovely young lad that i used to work with who also had a very cheeky face.
jane and max.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

We searched for ages for names, the ones i like my other half didn't finally we desided on Ben but that sounded a bit plain so we made it in to Benson ( having said that we call him Ben for short). A friend had a big yellow lab called benson and i always liked the name. The kids call him Benbob and i find myself calling him that sometimes too! :lol: He's a dog of many names :D

cristina & Ben

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi there

My other half chose 'Smudge' - not quite sure why and I wasn't sure at first - but I love it now! It really seems to suit him!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi there,
for our choc puppy I chose Beth which means life . we had recently lost our other 5 month old puppy Heidi so it seemed appropriate somehow.
we kept Harry, as his kennel name was happy sir Harry and he certainly is a happy chap. When we had Neo at 6 months old his name was Oliver but he didn't look an oliver.We had just watched the Matrix film and Keanu Reeves was wearing all black hence the name Neo.

Janet

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
i have yet to choose a name for my dogs..lol..as charlie was a rescue dog (king charles spaniel) so he already had his name
brandy again already named she is my 6yr black lab bought from a owner who said she follows me around liek a dog???? duh..lol..she was 10mnths when we got her
and now are new addition :p rosze a 8mth female choccy lab again already named...lol..

so maybe one day i will get to name one of our dogs :):):):)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I chose Rufus after a teddy dog that my partner bought me!

I looked the name Rufus up after i named him and it means red so i'm sure he is wondering why he is called rufus considering he is a choc lab! :lol:

Rach & Rufus

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi,my husband named sam,my daughter named ben and i chose dylan,i liked flynn or finn,but thought far too close to lynne so went for dylan mainly cos i like it and its a very popular welsh name.and he was born in wales like the rest of the family.

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi,

The four of us couldn't decide on a name so we asked family for ideas.

Every now and again suggestions would be texted through by my partners mum :)

Then she texted through Harvey, along with many others - Rich read it out and we all went YEAH! ! ! So Harvey it was :)

Fay

·
Registered
244 Posts
Lottie was named by Guide Dogs - all her littermates' names start with 'L' too. Ruthie used to be called Uschie before she was withdrawn from the guide dogs training programme (for not being confident enough) and we adopted her. We weren't sure about Uschie as a name so tried to find another name that sounded similar so she would adapt to it easily. It was my husband's idea to call her Ruthie - after Ruth in the Bible who goes and lies at Boaz's feet after which he says she can become part of his family! Seemed appropriate as she does a lot of lying at our feet. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
After much thought and debate amongst the family we went for something short and sweet "Chad".... (also, it's the name of the drummer with the Red Hot Chili Peppers!!), however, my 6 year old likes to call him "Chaddy Waddy Woooooo"! Chad seems to like the long version of his name but my husband isn't too impressed! (I can't imagine the drummer would be either!?) :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
hi all my chocy lab is named after a very good friend of mine her name is rosie my black lab was named after a program i watched about gerald ford whos daughter bought him a golden retiever for his birthday and called her liberty and fell in love with the name so thats whot my black labs name is liberty belle and my yellow i never named as i had her of my breeder and she was one year old so kept her pedgree name glosmere kerrie gold kerrie for short

·
Registered
9 Posts
I choose Mr T as he is a very large 6month old black lab. he was huge at 8 weeks and it just seemed to suit him! trying to teach him to bark at aeroplanes at th mo! Very unsuccessful mind ou! :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cookie because their my favourite biscuits and as shes a chocolate lab it kinda suited.
shes also known as girl pants not sure why my hubby calls it her

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think Popcorn and Toffee are just adorable names. I had never heard them before. When I got Angus I chose that name because he is black like a Black Angus Steer. Also, I live on a dairy farm and thought it was a cute name for a farm dog. I had never heard this name before until I got talking to a lady from Australia. We email eachother and she has an Australian Shepherd named, "Angus." I just loved the name from the time Jenny mentioned her dog to me. Brenda

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Namaste....

i named my baby "Frodo" quite obviously inspired by Tolkiens and saw the same qualities of Mr.Frodo in him and i belive he'd be a hero {He is my hero} .... Well now i'm just looking for SAM :wink:

P.s : just thankful to my senses that i did not name him Harry Potter i guess Ms.Rowling wud have sued me

1 - 19 of 19 Posts