Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps a stupid question, but why do a lot of working dogs have smaller heads and longer muzzles than show dogs? (I realise that working labs tend to be smaller anyway, which accounts for some size difference)

I notice that many old pictures of labs look more like working labs, so is it just a case that show dog breeders prefer bigger heads and have bred for this so therefore labs from show lines tend to have larger heads?

Or is there a practical reason behind working labs having different shaped heads?

Just curious as Cadbury has a big head and deep muzzle, which is the head shape I have always associated with labs.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
There is no real practicality behind this its just as you mention in your post, the working frame labrador is smaller throughout, so thereforefore he would look a mighty strange creature with a sizeable head. Ditto the fact that show lines tend to have more about them in terms of general bone, substance and so on, so a little pin head with a lean slight muzzle would look outrageously strange.

As the size has developed in general through the show lines, as has the head. But as I've said many many times, things are moderating now, and compared to, say, the late 80's things are pretty well in moderation compared to US show type and 80's type.

Everything, both show and working, should and usually is in proportion to the rest of the dog.

Di

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Angela - PMSL ;-) There are always exceptions to every rule - I have an entirely showbred 'pocket sized Moo' as we call Mallie. She too would share any pillow any time with space to spare ;-)

Di

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
A pillow is not just for xmas.

Trust me , go down this road. There is no room in the bed for anyone else :!: :!: :!:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts