Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though I have been around dogs almost fifty years, I got my first Lab in the summer of 1999. We researched different breeds but kept coming back to Labs. Puppies were not an option so we started looking for a Labrador Rescue to work with.

Red was maybe nine when we met him. I thought he was too old, Wife said he was fine, and how right she was. Red was a wonderful old guy who taught me alot. If you could ask Red what he was he would have answered "RETIRED." He was a retriever. Toys were a novelty to him. He enjoyed a chew bone, but throwing a toy for him was not his cup of tea. He would retrieve it once willingly with enthusiasm, but throw it again and he would give me a What -are-you-doing? look and then stomp off to the house in disgust. His snorts told me he would retrieve anything once. Throw it again and I could get it myself.

His first Christmas with us he came out to the car and took a roll of wrapping paper from me, slid his mouth along the tube down about two thirds of the way and carried it into the he house, turning his head to get around tight spaces. He also retrieved canned goods, particularly green beans we fed him as part of his dinner. He showed us that trick too. Red was quite a Lab.

He died 1 September 2001 from bloat. Bloat can affect puppies and deep chested dogs. The stomache rotates like tieing a balloon. Blood supply is cut off to the organ, gas builds up and the dog dies in a lot of pain. Red was put down by his vet. This was the worst decision I have ever had to make.

Misty came to live with us in January 1999 when she was maybe four years old. She came from the same rescue group. Misty is our Labradorable receiver. She will not retrieve. She enjoys cuddles, little kids and eating carrots, and peanut butter crackers. And eating.

Summer 2002 Misty developed skin infections and UTIs. She has a slow growing tumor attached to her pituitary gland in her brain stem. It is inoperable. This disease is called Cushing's. The tumor is like the oaf who leans aginst the buzzer. This buzzer tells the adrenal glands to produce cortisol 24/7. A little corisol goes a long way. Lots of cortisol really mnsses up the body. It is like a solvent. Misty's joints are loose, she has little miscle tone. She has difficulty walking, negotiating stairs, and cannot get onto the bed or into the car without help. She pants almost constantly. The Prednisone she is on lowers her immunity to infection. The medication used to treat the symptom's of Cushing's destroyed her adrenal glands so she is also Addisonian. Which means she has no cortisol and the other compounds made by the adrenal glands. Her weakened system also devloped hypothyroidism.

Throughout, Misty has been very stoic and loving. I wish we could do more than just keep her comfortable.

God works in strange ways. Red was older, arthritic, and had conjestive heart failure. After red died we started looking for another Lab to rescue. The Nice Rescue Lady emailed us a photo of a younger male yellow Lab at an Animal Control facility just south of us. He was a big boy that looked very, very mean. He had a diseased eye. I was not sure I wanted to see this guy but I did. Wife said later it was the first time since red died that there was any life in my eyes. But he was big, very puppy-ish and more than i thought Wife could handle. But he was interested in me, and seemed to be intelligfent. But I still was not sure. Until I asked how long before he might get a forever home. The answer was next Thursday his body goes to the landfill. We adopted the Lab right then and there and named him One Eyed Jack. He walked well on leash and was happy to be wherever we were. For a while his call name was Jack!Whatdahyathinkyouaredoing? but we were able to shorten it to just Jack.

It took me 15 months but I was finally able to teach Jack to fetch green beans from the pantry on command. He has found himself a job. Retrieving is what he does.

Misty does not like her photo taken, and it is hard to get a good pohoto of her. They just turn out as black blob pics. More photos of Red, Misty, and Jack are at www.picturetrail.com/labdad

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Labdad, 8)

Have just read your introduction, and i wanted to wish a warm welcome to the site. It's lovely to read all about your labs, i think it's great you have given homes to your rescue labs, it's a pity alot more people don't take labs on, as they make adorable pets and companions for life.

The photos are brilliant! We have been thinking about getting a paddling pool for our Bradley, your baby looks very content. An excellent idea for the hotter summer months, i will definately put it on my list!

Sorry to hear about Misty's tumour, how does she get on with the medication?

Are you going to be taking on any more rescues?

Maybe you could open up your own rescue centre! :D

Bradleysmum

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Misty

Bradleysmum wrote:
Sorry to hear about Misty's tumour, how does she get on with the medication?
The tumor is very slow growing. She is on Prenisone which makes her thirsty and over time messes up the immune system. Pred is tricky to use-you can't just stop using it when it messes things up. Has to be gradual withdrawl. She is on thyroid meds that appear to be working. She is old and slowing down, but still very loving. It is amazing how stoic Labs can be.

Are you going to be taking on any more rescues?
Two at a time is our limit, especialy because of the cost of vet care, testing and meds.

Maybe you could open up your own rescue centre!
We support the work of breed rescue. The cost of vet care, food, shelter and permits is more than we can handle.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Labdad,

I bet its a very costly procedure running a rescue centre yes, i think you're doing a great thing having your two rescue labs. Misty sounds adorable and it sounds also like she copes really well with her meds, give her a big kiss from me :wink:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
It's been a while since these pics have been looked at, just wanted to bump the post up for all our new members to see. Lovely pics of our moderators labs - i think you'll all agree they are gorgeous. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts