Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Judy is 11 and a half
Some will know she’s an ED sufferer and we are sure she had (has) mild HD over her life.... we know she’s had arthritis for couple of years and has been on senoquin, green lipped mussels and recently CBD oil.

She is the absolute love of our lives.

About 5 days ago her back legs went from under her as she came around the corner in the kitchen. She now seems to have episodes like spasms as she tries to push off on her back legs, especially left; it’s almost like she’s doing the can can and takes a few steps to regain control. We’ve noticed the left leg paw twists in ever so slightly. She doesn’t appear to be in any pain.

as I type this I have tears rolling down my cheeks as I know it’s not good. Whilst you’d struggle to find a fitter, tougher more stoic 11 year old (despite her joint issues) I just can’t see anything surgical being a solution. I’m praying she’s trapped a nerve in her left leg and it’ll be okay but .........

anybody any experience of something similar and can give us some crumb of hope?

·
Administrator
20,488 Posts
Such a difficult time. Vets are trying understandably to avoid seeing anything except emergencies, and we are simply not qualified to say what is an emergency and whats not.

If you push, pull and prod, and you don't provoke pain then hopefully it's just something twisted and will sort it's self out in time. But we worry about things like cruciate ligament tears, unlikely but possible so all I can suggest is rest and fingers crossed. But if it does not clear up don't hesitate to phone your vet for their thoughts.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Just to give you a little bit of hope. --- I had a similar experience with my 10.5 yr old boy a few weeks ago, he suffers with arthritis in his elbows and hips. He developed a sudden limp in his right back leg, to the point he would barely put it down. When he did walk on it you could see his hock joint twisting with every step. His vet ummed and ahhed about adding more painkillers but decided he was already maxed out so the only thing we could do was rest him. It worked, a few weeks of rest and he's now back trotting around the field.

Phone your vet for advice, they are still working.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
You could try a little test which doesn’t involve any major manipulation. It sounds a little like maybe there’s a problem with the nerves going to the back legs, it is something that can just happen with old age and not as a result of an incident.

Get her to stand and position one of her hind feet, top down rather than pad down. She should immediately pull the foot back into position, if she doesn’t, or there’s a delay, it’s an indicator that something going on with nerves. It’s called knuckling. Here’s a video which shows how to do it

I’ve just posted this video for the first part rather than the part where he checks the reflexes.

My oldie has absolutely no idea where her back feet are now but she can still walk but getting up takes a bit longer and she can still jump on the sofa.

if you’re really worried, call your vet, they will still speakto you I’m sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts