Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone can help me - I have recently been looking at the BARF diets, wondersin of they would suit my Bella better than what she is on at the mo.

So far we have fed her JWB, Burns, Arden Grange and Aurtaky, all of them going through her like no tomorrow, up to 8 poos a day and a very skinny under weight dog!!!!

I have come to the conculsion that maybe its just kibble fiood that doesnt agree - shall I go down the BARF diet it does sound very good I have spent a few days reading up on it. I am a little worried I won't be able to give her everything that she needs in a diet.

Is there anythjing else that anyone could recommend

Thanks

Lucy and Bella

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Carroll maybe able to advise as Majic doesn't agree with some ingredients.
Have you tried Burns?

edited:
Well we were thinking the same, saw this and immediately thought of Majic.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have been reading that above link all day, still huming and arhing!

Do you think it would be best to have tests done, it does seem everytime she has kibble she poos about 9 times a day, and I am not over feeding her, she is so thin I feel so sorry for her, but she is like a bottle of pop she never sits down all day so I want something wholesome and good for her.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep tried Burns, she has been on that one the longest, I kept thinking oh it will pass it has got to agree with her, but the amount of poop that comes out of the other end is unbelievable and its always sloopy and she always tries to eat it!

Is there a little tester I can do to the BARF diet, I saw in Jollys and Pets and Home they have the Prize Choice food in the freezer section, could i starter off on these.

She already has raw bones, she has been having these for about 4 months

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Raw is the most wholesome you can get its just not everyone's cup of tea.

The tests will cost about £300 8O

Bes thing is to do elimination diet to see if there is something specific that is causing it, Majic's is the processing they use to make kibble, so rules it all out :roll:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How would I start to Elimate? Especially Kibble if its all mixed food.

Sorry if I sound stupid, been a long day in the office!!!

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
i have to say i changed my 2 to barf in august it was the best thing i ever did its a bit overwhelming all the info but once u get started it not nearly as complicated as it seems n i believe its the best u can give them there coats shine n mambo had terrible dandruff with the kibble but since we changed over its cleared up they really enjoy their food now aswell n theres alot of variety u can feed them i got some chicken wings for my 2 tonight

·
Registered
264 Posts
We changed to Barf a couple of weeks ago.

Shadow really did not enjoy dog food.

I spent about 2 weeks researching Barf and asking questions on LF.

The thought of feeding my boy on chicken bones, terrified me.

Eventually, i bit the bullet and gave him a raw meal, which he devoured. I had never seen him so eager at meal times.

He is a much happier dog with fewer upset tums (although some veggies do affect him).

He enjoys every meal. His favorite is rabbit. It took me a few days to get my head around it but now its almost second nature.

I know exactly how you are feeling, but i figured that i had nothing to lose. If it didn't work, i would just try something else!

I can honestly say that, now, i would not feed him any other way and should we have another pup, i wouldn't hesitate to feed it Barf.

Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She has had puppy which she was on since she was 3 months old and then i mixed the chicken one (cannot remember full name of it) from about 6 months old for her to go on to that fully.

I bought some of the Prize choice frozen mince today.

She is a dog that will eat anything she loves all fruit and veg i suppose its just the thought of giving her full raw meat thats a bit spooky.

I have always given my dogs bones so that part doesn't really spook me, its something that we have always done.

If I do use the Prize Choice meats from Jollys / Pets at home do I still need to buy the offal, or is the Prize Choice Mince a full meal in its self, jsut mix veg etc.

Sorry I think I have read too much info, its starting to get confusing again! I always cram so much in I start to forget things again!!

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't think there is any calcium in Prize Choice. I think its purely meat. So you may still need to feed chicken wings etc.

Try your local butcher, mine makes his own pet mince. Its far cheaper. 28p per lb. He also sells pet liver (crappy off cuts) at a similar price.

As for the need to feed offal, im not sure, i think they get more vitamins from it.

I hope someone comes along soon that can answer you for sure. I just follow the advice i was given at the start!

Sorry, its not much use but at least it bumps your post!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your help.

I might need to re-read some of the older posts on here and make notes!!

I was also going to try and find a good book.

I think sometimes you can get so swamped with information - I know I do anyway!

I will also speak to my butcher and see what he can do for me.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
264 Posts
Good idea Lucy.

I spent 2 weeks reading up on it (day and night).

Eventually it all makes sense.

Take care and good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts