Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well then guys just wondering who Kennels there dog outside ?
Skye was in a kennel from Birth but has been inside since we had her. She spent last night in her crate in the shed outside though. I will hopefully be using her for working so dont want her all spoilt inside.

Not sure If Ill bother having a proffessional kennel done, prob just keep her in her crate in the shed, shes comfy, warm and safe :)

I was just wondering though, how long would it be ok to leave her in the crate through the night ? I took her for a wee @ 11pm last night and at 5am this morning, also another wee n poo @ 6.30am!

I have secured a huge pen all round the back yarden (about 30 yards by 30 yards) so she has LOADS of space, when I put a more permament fence in I hope to add a dog door to the shed so she can just go in and out as she pleases :)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have a similar set up to yours and always left my dogs outside during the day and brought them in at night. Since we lost Sally though we have let Sasha stay in during the day :roll: (she is being very spoilt at the moment). The neighbours always kept an eye on them and reported back to me that they always looked happy and contented. On the occasions that I did fall soft (heavy rain etc) and let them stay in the house I'd come home to total chaos - chewed up sofa's, carpets, even wallpaper :roll:

Karen & Sasha

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol im sorry to heat that karen. although sounds like you had 2 of the lil beauts :) Skye unfortunately is our only dog atm, although Im poss looking to get another to keep her company :) Possibly a spaniel as I can work that aswell and there not too big lol!

For the moment she is all alone though so I think she gets a bit bored, although I only finished the fence yesterday so atm shes used 2 being in the house. When out for a long time she willl be left in the hallway until I get a more permament fence done. Got a baby gate so she only goes in there.

Cant wait to get a cocker/springer n they can be best friends lol! I hope so anyways!

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
My dogs spend time in both the house and in kennels and seem happy in either.

I am not sure I would want to use a crate in the kennels though. In fact I am not that much of a fan of crates for working dogs - they tend to encourage squeaking.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I all was keep the dogs in the house all the time and i don't trust outside Kennels in were street if they see a dog they go and tack them out the garden .

·
Administrator
21,012 Posts
My dogs are house dogs, but with only two that in it's self is no problem. I've never been totally convinced that a kennel is necessary for a working dog, but I do believe you need to be aware of how you handle the situation. With higher numbers it certainly would become more difficult, mainly I think because you could not give them all as much individual attention as you would one or two dogs so then they would tend to gather together more as a pack, taking more notice of each other than or the human member of the household. Kenneling in pairs tends to reduce that. And saying that, for that reason if I was keeping kenneled dogs I would not keep more than two in an individual kennel.

Regards, John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts