Labradors Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all we have done lots of looking for labs after we lost our lovely black lab and fell in love with an older one at our local rescue centre ...hes so calm loves the kids and a fuss been to see him lots ....but the sad thing is they are treating him for kennel cough and hes so so under weight its unreal poor thing sighs .as you can see hes been very miss treated his eyes are sunk in but the vet says he will be fine just needs time,
what we cant decide is should we have him and give him a happy home even though theres a chance he may not pull through or not because of it upsetting the kids ...mine and my partners thoughts are he deserves so much better than where he is and no doubt my vet would do much better than the city dogs home

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
If you know you can care for him, give him everything he needs and could fit into your family life then I would go for it. It sounds like this poor chap needs a break and from your post it seems the vets are saying he'll be fine with a bit of TLC. What is it that makes you think he might not pull through? If it is the underweight issue I'm sure he would be fine with a few decent meals inside him especially if the vets have given the ok and KC usually clears after a few days. :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
_Leanne_ said:
. What is it that makes you think he might not pull through?
hi the reason we feel he may may not pull through is our jack came from there with kc and it turned out he had distemper after weeks and weeks of vets trips fits blood tests brain scans :(
but your right i dont think i can see him suffer im going to see him tomorrow :)...we cant keeep away hehe

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
My goodness! Which rescue is this? Surely they should vaccinate dogs that come in without any known *immunity*?

I'd be wary of supporting a rescue like that, although it sucks that the dogs obviously need homes. KC is definitely treatable, and generally is only a risk for very young or older dogs. It's impossible to advise whether you should go for him or not, as even if he only has a few weeks or months, you would offer him a better home, but that's hard for you and your kids to take. But you would at least know he had spent his last bit of time here with a family who could give him the love and help he deserves.

Difficult decision, good luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi its our local city dogs home .no they dont inject the dogs at all thats down to new owners .id of rescued one from the dogs trust but they none in that are fitting our criteria atm as i know there work is amazing and all dogs are fully vaccinated and stuff before leaving .
i just cant see him suffer will keep u up to date with our choice and let you know what we decide ,thanks for the replys and yes your right its one of the hardest choices in life sighs .

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Ahh right i didnt know he was in a rescue that didn't vaccinate. A bit of a difficult one because obviously you want to support a rescue that does things the right way but on the other hand don't want to see the dogs suffering. I hope your visit goes well, i think if it was me i would want to be getting him out of there too, poor soul. :(

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Hope everything go's OK for you, you obviously realise that you must never feel sorry for a rescue, your task/mission is to give him a better life.

TBH, I rescued a puppy farm ex-breeding bitch 7 years ago from Many Tears Rescue in Wales. She came spayed, innoculated, de-flead, wormed, washed, trimmed claws etc. and when we collected her I couldn't believe how clean and sweet the place smelt. We signed the adoption papers but they are her "real owner" and they stand by her for life.

Chel and Dilys xxx

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
When I rescued my Snowey she wasn't very healthy. I was reluctant to bring her into the house because I had two other dogs and a four year old. I had previously rescued two sick dogs and one had died and there was no way I wanted my son upset if the worse happened.
I spoke with my vet and decided I would rescue Snowey but she was to stay with the vet first to be sure she was healthy enough to come home. After a week I picked her up. I was so incredibly touched as when I went to pay the bill my vet told me there was no charge.
We don't know quite how old Snowey was when we rescued her probably 1-2 so we estimate she was 16-17 when she died. I can see things from both angles having lost a puppy within a day of rescuing it and having my little Snowey recover and live for many years.

Whatever you decide I'm sure whichever dog that eventually joins your family will be very lucky to have you all.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Let us know what you decide. From reading your posts, it's a city dogs home rather than a rescue as such and they'll be obliged to take in all stray dogs in the area that they're responsible for, presumably? Usually with a limited budget to spend on the dogs while they're in their care.

To be honest, while I can understand why rescues vaccinate before rehoming, vaccinating a dog while they are experiencing the stress of being in a dogs' home (which will be a stressful experience for even the most confident, laid back of dogs), isn't really an ideal time to vaccinate anyway, I don't think.

I hope whatever you decide, the dog will recover fully and find a good home :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all sorry not replied to anyones messages its been kinda hectic few days ...yes its the city dogs home and yes I know they are abliged to take in all dogs ..

So an update we decided to take the plung and get the old fella out of the place ..all we knew is hes still on medication and very under weight indeed

We finally get him home and he so enjoyed a bath and a good brush he did not want to get out of the bath lol
hes eaten well not over fed just the right meals

loved a play with his kong ball and tug a rope playing fetch and drop ...his choice to play .

then wanted fuss off us all kids everyone ...lay down and chilled ..

gives you paw off his own back if he wants to go to the toilet..only issue we have is he humping everything his bed kids toys our other dog but she tells him whos boss ...hes a lovely dog and we seen a big change in him since he came home just hope humping can be sorted ....yes hes been done too .

will upload pics of him soon as I know how lol

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
The humping may well disappear of its own accord once being with you begins to be normal and less exciting and less of a novelty. I know that Tucker tends to hump when over-excited and over-tired and when he doesn't quite know what to do with himself cos he sure ain't gonna lie down and sleep and miss the good times! Humping is a very rare occurrence, thankfully!

He sounds lovely and I'm sure that over the coming days and months you will see more of his lovely sounding character!

Well done for taking the plunge! Welcome Home to him!! x

1 - 18 of 18 Posts