Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Anyone know the incubation period for KC?

I'm only asking because a dog we socialised with on Sunday 30/8 has since come down with it, and I have 2 situations which might need to be altered if it's not as I thought.

I thought the incubation period was around 4 days, in which case my lot ought to be showing symptoms by today or early tomorrow if they were going to catch it.

Trouble is, tomorrow Rupert is supposed to be going to his new home - which has 2 x oldies living there, so I wouldn't want to send him there only to make his new family ill!

Also, I am meant to be going to stay with a friend (and taking Vegas with me) Fri nite or Sat morning, and staying for the weekend. She has a litter on the ground, I think they are 5 weeks or so? And as such, I would definately not want to take any chances with introducing KC into a young litter.

So.... if I have had no coughing by tomorrow morning, that is 5 days, does that mean I am guaranteed clear? Or should I cancel my trip up to visit Lorraine??

I phoned two vets, and got completely different answers! One said 3-4 days, the other said 7-11 days! Completely different timescales.

Obviously, I would not want to do *anything* whatsoever to risk either the oldies in Rupert's forever home, or the puppies at Lorraine's, I'm just not sure if I would be being "too" cautious to cancel all this weekend's plans?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,702 Posts
I guess you can anticipate what I'm going to say Ness - I think of the incubation period as being 7 days and, sadly, I wouldn't want your dogs to visit where I had young pups, or near oldies.

But then I think you know how very very careful I am. Sorry not the information you wanted I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,298 Posts
When competing you have to have not been in touch with contagious illnesses for 21 days. I know each illness varies but I would err on the side of caution, personally. Sorry.

Katy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
Ness - the advice (even from vets) varies considerably - I have always assumed a potential incubation period of more than 5 days tbh. I help at a puppy class so am ultra paranoid re: infections as I would hate to be responsible for spreading anything to pups or oldies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
oh ness i am SO SORRY to have given you this dilemma- you know i would not have risked it for the world-had i known on sunday what i suspected a day later-she had not even coughed once when we all met up sunday afternoon, and i have no idea where she got it from-no local cases i am aware of before or since.

feel free to beat me around head with a blunt instrument next time we meet



:wink: :oops: :oops: :oops: :wink: :oops: :oops:


love from jan and the inmate of the isolation ward xxxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No no no no no!!! Jan, please PLEASE don't think I am peeved. Not at ALL!!!! I swear to god woman, do I have to come and beat some sense into you?

Of COURSE you didn't know that Rubes was infectious on Sunday, and of COURSE I don't blame you in the slightest!

I was just chatting to Rupert's new mum, and as she said "you can't blame yourself, the dogs went and had fun and it's just one of those things that happens, and we just have to deal with it".

So. Decisions made. No roadtrip for me this weekend :(
BUT I get to keep Rupert for another week :D
I spoke to his new mum, and she's known all week that we were on Cough Watch, and I explained that the incubation period is longer than I'd originally thought, and I left the final decision up to her. I said I'd be happy to bring Rupert tomorrow, if she was prepared to take that risk with her oldie, but she made the decision that she'd rather not take the risk, and she asked me to keep Rupert Bear another week.

Yay!! Lucky me, I get more cuddles for a week :D

But poo that I don't get to have Shadybug puppy cuddles :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
ness i know YOU aren't peeved but I AM on your behalf!!!! :wink:

yes they all did have great fun just being doggies on sunday-i absolutely love watching them all hooleying around like loonies!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

and you do get another week with the gorgeous rupert bear so-not ALL bad eh????


but you can still beat me round the head with a blunt instrument next time we see each other......lol :wink: :wink:

love jan and bronchitic old lady rubes xxxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,454 Posts
Ness I am dissapointed you cant make it but as we said its just not worth the risk to the pups, look on the bright side you get to keep lovely Rupert bear for another week and there wil still be a pup for puppy cuddles when you come in a month.

Cant wait to see Gus I may just exchange him for a little red devil :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know, I am gutted, but of course the puppies health comes first so it was a really easy decision to make.

Even more gutted that I'm not gonna be able to take you some fab pics of your gorgeous girly with my DSLR!! Now I won't even get to meet her, as when we are up next month you will have already taken her home with you :(
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top