Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im hopefully going to look at some pups next monday, the pups are advertised on the kennel club website, can you tell me if anyone can advertise on the kennel club website or do you have to have had checks to show you are a reputable breeder ?

Thanks Sarah and Bailey

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Anyone can advertise KC-registered pups on the KC website.
If they are a KC Accredited Breeder then they must have had the checks done though...

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
I 'think' that the only criteria is that they are KC registered, so you need to ask your own questions on health tests etc. I think there is a list of suggested questions as a sticky in the breeding or puppy forum, which would be worth printing off.

Good Luck! (And ask the questions before visiting otherwise once you've seen the pups and fallen in love, common sense flies out of the window!)

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
As the others have said, anyone with KC registered pups can register on the website - Accredited Breeders are clearly identified on the puppy lists which means they must as a mimimum have hip scores and clear eye certificates

A lot of AB and non AB's do far more testing than the minimum specified by the scheme - so it is still a bit a case of "buyer beware"

Go with a combination of documentary evidence and your gut feelings :wink:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thanks im in a bit of a dilema theres a yellow on the kc register and a choc , the choc is an accredited member with a B and BC they both say that both parents low hip scores and eyes clear and the choc one also says optigen tested. Im in a pickle now and am not sure which way to go :roll:

Thanks Sarah and Bailey

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Why not make appointments to go see both litters? Then you can see which breeder you prefer, and which dam you prefer, and who has the best health tests, and of course, which litter has a puppy you just totally utterly fell for :)

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
i do as ness suggested. When we were looking for coal, we saw a few litters - where they had all health tests and nice litters etc. but we just didn't feel 'right' about it until we went to see Coal's litter. the 'breeder' was lovely, the pups were adorable and we fell in love.

good luck

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
It's a good suggestion from Ness and Sam :D

Usually when I want a pup I know where it is coming from usually long before it is a twinkle in the sire's eye - so the dilemma doesn't exist - also depends which is your colour preference - blacks and yellows seem to shed (to a greater or lesser extent) all year around - whereas my chocs have two very specific moults a year - but then you've already got a yellow so a bit more matters not :wink:

·
Registered
188 Posts
sue51 said:
As the others have said, anyone with KC registered pups can register on the website - Accredited Breeders are clearly identified on the puppy lists which means they must as a mimimum have hip scores and clear eye certificates
Not always - I have known breeders (term used lightly) in my other breed who claim accidental mating multiple times and don't lose their AB status and sell pups from none tested parents :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts