Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isnt really a breeding question, but its to do with a season so i thought thsi would be the best place to ask.

Molly is due in season in feb (a while away yet) by which time Harvey will be 7 months old. Will we need to keep them apart at this stage or when harvey is bigger? Im not really sure how a 7 month old pup would react to a bitch in season.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
lianxx said:
Molly is due in season in feb (a while away yet) by which time Harvey will be 7 months old. Will we need to keep them apart at this stage or when harvey is bigger? Im not really sure how a 7 month old pup would react to a bitch in season.
It could be very strongly, and yes, he could be capable of mating and siring puppies.

Zac was 5½ months the first time Hally and Hope were in season, and 10 months the next. The first time, he KNEW there was something different, but not quite sure what, the second time, with all three girls in season, I was like Arnie by the end of it :roll: My kennels weren't ready in time (thankfully they are now), but personally I wouldn't put myself or the dogs through all being in the house together again - even though they were always kept apart.

A gate is unlikely to be sufficient, you need closed doors to separate them and I would recommend always keeping a lead in your pocket - Zac in fairness, only reacted when the girls were ready for mating, but my god, he developed the strength of Goliath at that time :roll:

I am guessing one of them is being neutered after? it might be worth seeing if one of them can stay with friends?

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Oh my goodness yes keep them apart 8O .

Harvey will be more than capable of doing what is required and more if given half a chance.

I used to have them all in the house but separated if that makes sense, but I now have the lads in kennels (overnight generally) but much more than that when a bitch is in season :wink: . They can work all sorts of miracles to get at an ovulating bitch.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have kennels outside so looks like one will have to be inside and one outside then! Probably Molly outside because she wont stay in the house for more than a few hours at a time, she loves being outside.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
What might be safer is if one of them can go to someone else for 2.5 - 3 weeks. This will be keeping them entirely seperate and that usually means a lot of barking and vocal craziness from the boy - and sometimes the bitch once the novelty of being kenneled - alone - wears off if she is not used to it 24/7.

Good luck, and absolutely agree with Sue and Jill, at 8 months I had a mating a tie from one of my boys once (not proud of it but there you go it happens) and I very much rushed her for the mismate jab as she could WELL of had viable sperm in her from him at that age.

Di

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im going to have to seperate them because the only person who would have molly is my mum, but she's got a male dog, so thats no good. I would send harvey but my mums dog doesnt like him. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
lianxx said:
I would send harvey but my mums dog doesnt like him. .
Good luck - I can't say anything because I was in the same position - and sounds like you are lucky you already have kennels - it might be worth getting whoever is going to be out there at that time used to it if they are not already - my Clover for example goes ballistic if she is out in the kennels, thankfully Zac is well adjusted to them :D

It might also be worth, if you don't know already, checking out some doggie sitting or kennels just in case things get too much, at least then you have a fallback position.

Best of luck - the next time any of my girls are in season, I will have Moz and Zac here, and hoping Moz will be too young for fisticuffs at dawm - Zac is very protective of his girlies, spending most of his mornings ensuring every bit of girly wee on the lawn is covered :roll:

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I have to say that I do not have a noise problem as long as I keep the entire dogs and the bitches apart, but I would never be able to leave any of mine on there own so mine are paired up.

Two castrated dogs who go together and can be left with the bitches when supervised, but otherwise go upstairs :roll: , two bitches who are in the sitting room and kitchen and the two lads who go in the kennels. It works for us anyway :D .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts