Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Most people with know about my pooch Ruby. She has had a new hip and a TPO in the last 4 weeks and has just reached 9 months old and wondered what training is good to mentally tire her as we can't do any off lead stuff or much lead walking other than to go outside to do her business.

Obviously a bit tricky too for two weeks with the buster collar on too but would appreciate any help

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
I used to do food pots with Indie, she'd have to find where I'd hidden a little food tub, and indicate by lying down, and then she'd get the treat from inside. The first bit is training the down for the food pot, if they get it right you open the pot and they get the treat. Start off giving the command 'down' and eventually they'll cotton on when there's a food pot that means they get the treat if they 'down'. You can build up to then hiding a couple in a room for them to find, obviously low down. As long as your'e using up some of their daily allowance and not giving them extra food it's a good way to get them using their brain.

Indie had to have her anterior cruciate repaired, I'm not sure with the type of surgery Ruby's had if it's ok for her to be lying down and getting up like that, but if you're not sure you could always teach her to speak to indicate she's found the pot.

·
Premium Member
15,716 Posts
Charlie learnt all the names of his cuddly toys - ie 'duck, woof, big ted, blue thing' etc. and would get the right one when asked,

He also had a huge knuckle bone but it does make him a bit constipated :roll: :roll:

When he was a bit more mobile I threw a handful of cornflakes on the lawn and he'd amble round 'hoovering' them up

Good luck, it's not easy but worth it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts