Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sat down yesterday to have another read through the paperwork I received from Sydney's breeder and I'm a bit unsure re the transfer of ownership. Pud isn't kc registered so its all new to me, but i'm just not sure whether it is necessary??? I dont intend to show or work Sydney and don't know whether it really matters who he is regsitered to with the kennel club :? :?

Do some people not bother? What difference does it make?

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I always transferred ownership to me (last 2 done on-line and very easy), I just presumed you had to otherwise the breeder is still the legal owner so that I why I did it :?

Sorry no help whatsoever, hope someone comes along with an answer :?

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Yes it does matter. You need to transfer him into your ownership - its nothing to do with whether you want to work or show etc. but about who owns the dog!

You can do this very easily online via the kennel club website - just follow the instructions on the paperwork the breeder has given you. It doesn't cost anything unless you want any additional extras such as the breed records supplement or a fancy printed pedigree etc.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
leapudding said:
Do some people not bother? What difference does it make?
If you read the current KC literature, they deem new owners not transferring their new pups ownership as a reflection on the breeder making poor owner selections for their pups :(

I do know if it isn't done straight away, it is unlikely to be done - it DOES reflect on the breeder if you don't and always helps the KC to keep track of dogs on their database.

If someone is prepared to spend in the region of £500 to £600 on a pup, then surely £12 to transfer ownership is a mere drop in the ocean?

Sorry, if I sound a little harsh, but as a breeder currently showing 14 dogs in her ownership (including my current litter) - then if the KC's take on not transferring is a fair one, then I won't be deemed responsible in picking my new owners - which I KNOW is not true :(

I did Moz's online and I hope the new system does encourage more people to change, it is ridiculously quick and easy to use :D

Rach - as an aside, I spoke to the KC about the addition of the Kennel Name online, and apparently it is in hand :wink:

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I wish they would get a move on Sue. It is really silly being able to change ownership online and then having to send it all off in the post to get the affix added (especially when you want it done pronto because you want to DNA test and have the affix on the paperwork :roll: ).

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Ettinsmoor said:
I wish they would get a move on Sue. It is really silly being able to change ownership online and then having to send it all off in the post to get the affix added (especially when you want it done pronto because you want to DNA test and have the affix on the paperwork :roll: ).
Tell me about it Jill :roll: Within 3 hours of getting Moz home, the transfer was done - and on my records the next day 8O and then all the hassle of having to add the kennel name and send it all back :roll:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I do know if it isn't done straight away, it is unlikely to be done
I must be the exception to the rule then... my last one took me 10 months to change over :oops: :oops: :oops: Dealing with anything other than absolutely essental paperwork is not my forte - hence I pay everything by DD. As it can be done online now, I am sure I would be quicker.

Not sure what to make of the kc saying it's a poor reflection on the breeder 8O

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I have a few of my pups that have not changed over there ownership and on chasing them I was told that they were happy to pay me for a wonderful pup (and would do so again), but were unhappy about lining the Kennel Club's pockets.

I have to say I was not quick enough to think of a suitable reply! :? :oops:

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Ettinsmoor said:
I have to say I was not quick enough to think of a suitable reply! :? :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jem - the reason I say if you don't do it straight away, is because I am judging by my own dippy standards of being appalling with paperwork :oops: :roll:

Because I show, it is a necessity, so I tend to do it straight away - the fact the KC have made it one of the first functions available online suggests to me they are hoping it will increase the numbers transferring.

I would love to know what percentage of those registered are actually transferred - I agree I was a bit taken aback to read that - and now I can't find it again :oops: maybe I dreamt it :roll:

Jill - while I don't necessarily understand or agree, I guess I can see their viewpoint - although from a breeders perspective, if I have say a litter every other year for the next 10 years, on the current ratio of transfers - that could be a LOT of labs in my name :roll:

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I know Sue and I find that quite worrying as well.

I have to say it seems to be my first litter that was the main problem though since then people do seem to be transferring ownership. Perhaps I am just pushing it more now though!!!! Although on thinking about it more pups are now going to competition homes and they need the pups to be in their names.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
just done maisie online and went for the full monty £34 which gets you a nice pedigree chart :D :D we already have the 10 gen from sue aswell :D :D

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
" Not sure what to make of the kc saying it's a poor reflection on the breeder "

Jen - chuckle - agree. I think its a lot more about a poor reflection on how many £12's the KC get on TOP of the one already paid by the breeder to register the pup in the first place ;-) Gold star to breeders who gain the KC £24 per puppy instead of just £12 ;-)

However that said something needs to be added to the thread which is important. Legally it is my belief that Kennel Club ownership makes no difference in the eyes of the law. It is the person housing, paying the purchase price, basically caring for the dog day to day.

What I am saying is, yes I agree its important to transfer pups even if its just to get you a load of useful stuff in the post from the KC through the years - OR if you change your MIND on the showing/working the dog side of things its important the dog is in your name - BUT as regards legal ownership I believe it holds no weight. I'm not saying if someone was saying THEY owned YOUR dog and the KC docs were in your name as WELL as the dog living with you etc etc it wouldn't be an extra 'help', but its important to know in marriage breakups etc, who is on the KC documents doesn't sway much with the law.

Di

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not harsh at all Sue although I really can't see the kennel club's view point that it reflects badly on the breeder for me if anything it reflects badly on the kennel club themselves in that pet owners probably quite like me :D know so little about them and what they do that they have little interest in whether their records are up to date. Perhaps more information with the form that breeders provide about the Kennel Club and what they do would help surely its not just the breeder (and the knowledgable people on LF :D )'s responsibility to educate the public

·
Registered
15 Posts
We've done it and got an elegant A3 sized family tree for Muzzy that will take pride of place....in Muzzy's paper box in the office :wink:

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I paid extra to get the breed supplement, but when it arrived I couldn't find all of Bracken's litter mates - only mine and one other. Does this mean that no-one else transferred ownership?? It didn't even cross my mind not to.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Yes that means that only you and one another 'at the point of printing' had transferred ownership.

They *may* have done later on. Chances are not, but might have done. There really is no harm not to, but its smarter, more forward thinking incase you DO wish to compete with the dog, and more 'tidy' to transfer ownership.

Lets not forget the most important part is that you BUY a puppy that is kennel club registered - the transfer is icing on the cake.

I must go check, Sue has started me thinking about numbers of dogs in ownership.

Di

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
even if its just to get you a load of useful stuff in the post from the KC through the years
8O what do you get?

I have never given them a change of address, so not received anything - am I missing much? should they have my correct address? :?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
No not really, we tend to get the inital puppy pack, then flyers once in a while regarding discover dogs, spectator crufts tickets and sometimes a special offer on insurance or micrchipping etc.

So Ok strike that, you don't get much past the initial puppy pack ;-)

Di

1 - 20 of 28 Posts