Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking for a mate for our dog bailey “jet black jasper”. He is pedigree with superb Field Champion bloodlines. He is gorgeous in statue as well as having The perfect temperament fantastic family dog, fetches, obedient and loving. Health checks eyes, hip scores and elbow scores all perfect. He has not covered before but shows wiling. We haven’t done this before so any advice welcome.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
What genetic tests has he had? What would make me, a bitch owner, choose him over the many champions that I could choose from? A great family pet, good looking and an ability to retrieve wouldn’t be enough for me. Has he ever been shown, or worked or done agility?

·
Administrator
20,495 Posts
The problem for a dog owner is that the owner of the bitch is the one who chooses a stud dog. So like Nicola says, with something in access of 100000 dogs out there, unless he has done something to bring him to the notice of bitch owners he is unlikely to be used.

Then comes health testing. No dog or bitch should ever be used unless hip and elbow scored, (cost around £400, probably more) Has a current eye test certificate, (around £60 per year) Is DNA tested for ate least PRA, EIC, CNM and SD2 (around £50 each, say £180 for all four)

For that you are likely to receive a stud fee of around £250 to £300 for an untried dog. So unless you get at least 3 bookings you will be way out of pocket. Running a stud dog is not an easy job and certainly not a money maker unless your dog becomes a Field Trials winner at the very least. Also it's normal for the bitch to visit the dog, not the dog to the bitch. Must dogs wont perform if in a strange place.

Sorry if that sounds pessimistic, but believe me, it'd unlikely you will get any bookings.

John

PS. Advertising dogs at stud is not allowed on here so I have removed your details.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts