Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an email today from the Kennel Club about an obesity survey they are doing on Labs and Golden Retrievers age 5+.

Has anyone else got this and will you be doing the eligibility questionnaire? I haven't had a look at it yet but suspect they won't want Coco because she isn't particularly overweight or very skinny.

?

·
0 Posts
I'm sure I filled this in a while ago. Neither of mine are overweight either, but I think they want to get an idea of the percentage of Labs who are, and to try to work out why.

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
No email here... !

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
No email here either!

Suspect it is pointless survey though as there seem to be many lab owners who don't think their dogs are overweight and think other labs are just skinny!

Chloe

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I have signed up Cadbury. If they choose you, you have to take a saliva test and have your vet examine the dog, judge its condition and weigh it.

I'll sign up for anything! :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the Kennel Club are just acting as postman for this study. It all seems quite genuine and worthwhile. A vet is searching for a "greedy gene" in Labradors so needs to compare the genetic makeup of greedy, overweight Labs and lean Labs who are not interested in food.

The link is http://www.godogs.org.uk/ and the eligibility questionnaire is on the contact us/get involved page.

I got an email today saying that because Coco is a greedy but not obese dog they don't need her at this stage.

I think they are first trying to identify if there is a gene that makes Labs greedy (presumably those not interested in food will be missing that particular gene), then when they have compared the two extreme groups they will check out more in between dogs to see how the theory stands up.

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
Thanks for that link!

Neither of mine are lean and uninterested in food and neither is overweight... so it doesn't look like we can help at this point either!

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is probably still worth filling in the questionnaire, I think they want as many labs as possible to participate, even if they don't want you for the initial testing.

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
Good point! Will do! Luna has been over weight in the past by a few kilos so could be useful... I'll let them judge!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I don't think there is an ideal weight in figures, it's more about how the dog looks. Labradors come in all sizes from the smaller working dog to the big show dog.

·
Registered
429 Posts
elsarivka said:
I don't think there is an ideal weight in figures, it's more about how the dog looks. Labradors come in all sizes from the smaller working dog to the big show dog.
thanks for that was curious is all :)

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Coco is overweight at 23.6kg (only by 1-2kg though) but most Labs would be reported to the RSPCA for starvation if they only weighed that much.

?

·
0 Posts
Ooo it's a different study to the one I did last time, but looking at that, I don't think mine fit the criteria anyway. They want Fat Foodies, or Lean dogs who aren't that interested in food. Mine are lean but greedy little buggers who would be HUGE if I let them eat what they wanted. :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

We're delighted with the response to the Kennel Club mailings, sent on our behalf. Please do fill in the Eligibility Survey on our website if you think your dog may be a suitable candidate. We're looking for overweight, greedy labs or lean labs who are simply not that interested in food.

If your dog is a little bit over weight and greedy, or a little bit underweight and not food motivated, then we'd still be very interested. Even if they don't fit exactly into the inclusion criteria (and we do carefully screen each survey), the information provided could prove invaluable for future research studies.

Email us at [email protected] or contact us from the website www.GOdogs.org.uk.

Thanks for your interest, and a particularly big thanks to all the owners and dogs who have participated so far!

The GOdogs team

1 - 15 of 15 Posts