Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last few days Kaiser has been licking his left back paw quite a lot. I stopped him whenever i caught him but he would do it during the night and when we were not at home. I kept an eye on it because it looked red and i bathed it in salt water to see if it helped. I also checked for grass seeds but couldn't see a thing.

Anyway yesterday morning i got up to find he had been licking it during the night again. It had got to the point were he was making it sore so i booked him in to see the vet. The vet took a look and said that he needed antibiotics for it so he is now on Rilexine twice a day and his paw also has to be bathed twice a day in hibiscrub. The vet told us to keep it covered with a sock to stop him from licking it and that we would have to go and pick up one of those collars that look like lampshades if he wouldn't wear the sock. :roll: :lol: He has to go back in ten days for a check up and to see if he will need anymore antibiotics.

Surprisingly he isn't doing too bad with the sock, he tried to get it off at first but he's adjusted to it and doesn't seem to touch it now. Kaiser had an ear infection not long ago and the vet thinks that this and now his paw could all be related to his allergy. He mentioned Kaiser having tests to find out what he is actually allergic to if this sort of problem flares up again, although i did mention testing to another vet ages ago who said testing wasn't really accurate! :roll:

The vet also said that if it ends up being a seasonal thing they might give him a short dose of low steroids when it flares up but they would have to look into an alternative if it wasn't because they don't want him on steroids long term, especially such a young dog.

Anyway today we have been out and got him some tape for the sock and i also wanted to get some children's socks because our socks don't really stay on properly. I only wanted to get plain black but my BF saw a pack that had funky patterns on and pictures, so now my poor baby is walking round with a sock that has a picture of a cow. :lol:

I've took some pictures to show you of Kaiser sporting his new sock, the pics are not great but you can still see what my BF is making him walk round like. I think Kaiser is going to be worrying about his street cred soon :lol:

Reluctantly posing with his sock

What my poor boy has to walk round with

Feeling sorry for himself

·
Registered
480 Posts
I hope his paw gets better soon. I think he looks good with the sock on :D When Troy cut both of his back paw pads, the vet gave me a pair of boots for him to wear. He was really good at letting me put them on, they just didn't stay on very well when we were walking. I think he secretly liked it because anyone who saw him would come over and make a big fuss of him :)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Abby77 said:
When Troy cut both of his back paw pads, the vet gave me a pair of boots for him to wear.
I did spot some baby booties, maybe i should have got him a pair. :lol:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aww bless him, he suits his little boots :lol: I'm not surprised he had lots of people fussing over him :lol:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I think the cow sock is lovely for a little lad - much more suitable than a boring adult sock.

Hoping it's a one-off, not an allergy problem.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, Kaiser has just been for a walk and Mr Cow got very dirty so he is now looking very fetching in multi-coloured stripes. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts