Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we get many posts about our dogs being allergic to this, that and the other; be it grass, pollens, wheat, meats, and it got me thinking:-

I personally have suffered from what I though were allergies of one sort or another since childhood, and I guess I am allergic to 'some' things.

Just over a year ago I was rushed into hospital with anaphylaxis (culprit being an antibiotic for urinary infections)

As a result of this I had allergy testing done at the hopsital. What this showed was that I was NOT allergic to one thing they tested me for...BUT it showed I am histamine intolerant. Histamines are hidden, and one of the worst carriers is chicken. There are many, many foods that carry histamines and I have to be careful which foods I eat together at any one time (easier said than done!)

So...If this is the case for me, then perhaps it follows for our pups too. Histamines build up because of the intolerance and that's when symptoms show.

I can somewhat control my intolerance with a daily dose of a rather strong antihistamine. Would this work for our pups? I don't know, so I'm asking...What do you think?

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Treatment for many allergies such as skin reactions is often Piriton antihistamine so that's the same as humans.

Food intolerances I firmly believe are down to the fact that all meat and kibble is so highly processed using rendered meat that is not even meat sometimes but the bones, cartilage feet etc so not real protein in the sense of the word, this means our dogs bodies have to work harder to get the nutritional value out of the food.

Bean came to me with the most appalling skin allergy at the base of his tail, he was ginger where he constantly nibbled, his ears were hot, his feet were itchy and the vet concluded it was something in his food, now he was being fed Burns kibble and Nature diet, food that in the past I had considered to be good quality and supposedly hypoallergenic.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Allergy tests have shown that Monty is allergic to a number of indoor allergens and also a number of foods - including chicken. So he is on a very strict diet. But we have found that antihistamines do not help him at all.

?

·
0 Posts
Just as many humans are allergic to dogs, many dogs are allergic to humans 8O 8O . I only found that out the other day!

Allergies are often complex and involve many different substances. I don't doubt some dogs would probably respond well to a daily dose of AHs and like humans, others wouldn't. It would always be worth a try, I'd have thought, if all other avenues had failed previously.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
My son is allergic to nuts, shellfish, legumes and beans. He carries an epipen and the condition is life threatening for him. We have never been told to treat regulary with antihistamines as a preventative. Only if he is exposed to an allergen. Do you take the antihistamines and then eat the foods anyway?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jules, I didn't know dogs could be allergic to humans either, but then I don't see why not when humans can be allergic to each other 8O

Tumack, I'm not sure about the allergies that your son has with regards to antihistamines; but then again if you/he know what he is allergic to you can go some way to prevent it, and of course have the pen handy.

With being histamine intolerant I never know what might set me off, so I have to be careful that I don't eat foods high in histamines too often and together. Some of these foods, ie; tomatoes, strawberries, fish, can also sometimes, but not always, cause the body to release its own histamine, which then results in allergy like symptoms.

I do rely on my daily antihistamines and I do eat the majority of the histamine high foods, but in moderation. If I start itching, swelling, burning etc, it'll be something I've eaten that day that has put my levels over the top. When this happens I can omit foods for a week or two and then gradually bring them back into my diet.

In all honesty it's a pigging nightmare :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts