Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just contacted our local breeder and secured our puppy! It is currently 1 1/2 weeks old and we can have it in 5 weeks - I can't wait!

Don't actually know its sex yet - hubby is keeping it a secret - but already have some names in mind!

Any hints or tips out there from you guys - I know I have 5 weeks in which to prepare so anything I should start to get ready??

Will keep you all up to date :)

Sarah

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
lol..bet your all excited congrats on your new arrival to be:):)

as for a name i wouldnt pick it till you can see the pup and see what his/her personality is :):)or if you do pick names you better get writing a list of boys and girls names..lol...its like having a human baby..LOL..
what colour is it do you know that??

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that is it black and hubby let it go that it is male!
We went to see the dad today and the mum and dads older daughter - they are so gorgeous! I really can't wait!

I've always wanted a labrador and now that we have the chance to get one because we have our own house i'm so excited - still upset that I can't take my other dog with me - but guess my mum does deserve some company!

Anyway will keep you updated!

Sarah

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
awwww why cant you bring your other dog with you? what breed is it?

the time will soon fly by then when your puppy is getting up to mischeif you will think back to the peacfull times with out him...LOL..LOL...

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My mum doesn't want me to take my other dog - which is a King Charles Cavalier and is called Sam. Sam is part of that family now and my mum would miss him loads - so with me and hubby moving out I guess its not fair to take Sam too - but sure he will be visiting us when mum and dad go away!

We had Sam from a puppy - and I remember the mischief days - don't think hubby knows what he is letting himself in for!! But I honestly can't wait - i'm being very impatient and wanting it now :)

But at least we have time to make the house puppy-proof before his arrival!

Now the fun part of naming it!! :)

Sarah

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
lol.. i have a king charles spaniel called charlie he is a rescue dog :):)

well at least you know he will be happy with your mum :)

and yep you better get puppy proofing the house although i do beleive your puppy will find a way round what ever you do..LOL..

with 3 dogs in our house its mental..lol..rosze our new addition is digging rather large holes in my garden so dont think about making your garden nice..lol

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Luckily with our house being new the garden is nothing brilliant!

Thats the reason we opted for now to get a puppy - whilst the furniture is second hand from family and not everything is quite as new!

Any hints of what to "puppy proof" - already have a stair gate - this has come from what we used to use with Sam - however its ended up that he goes upstairs!!!

Any advice wud be very much appreicated!

Also a good pet insurance company you recommend?

Sarah

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi sarah,
i think what clair means by puppy proof is if its not nailed or glued to the floor watch out. no seriously any thing at puppy eye level ie plugs cables low coffee tables etc. home demolition comes quite natural to a labby :D and if the teeth dont get it believe me the tail and paws will :lol:

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
hi sarah,welcome to the forum,i bet you can't wait to see your pup,are you being allowed to chose one yourself or are you just having one the breeder is picking for you? i think 61/2 weeks is very young for a pup to leave its mum,i am surprised a reputable breeder is allowing that, it is normally about 8 weeks,i am sure your husband will soon find out what labrador pups get up to,and how much hard work they are,is anyone going to be home with the pup for the first few weeks till he has settled down,labbies thrive on company and although they are really hard work they are the most loyall and loving friend you will ever have,good luck when he arrives home.Lynne.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
maxsmum..LOL...yeah i forgot all about the tail..lol..boy is that like a whip when they get going..lol..ive had them wack me on the legs a few times and left a red mark..lol..infact if i remeber once brandy knocked my baby over with her tail..LOL.. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Sarah

Any names yet? You will have soooo much fun when you pick up your new lab - we got ours just over a week ago and have finally got our first nights complete sleep since he arrived! I have researched the insurance side to death and have found that www.eandl.co.uk offers the best cover for the money @ £7.95 per month for their silver cover. Good luck with picking your new baby up and don't worry time will fly - just be prepared for the difference between one week and eight - I couldn't believe my eyes and boy is he growing quickly :p

Graham, Kerry & 'Brucey'.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome

Hi Sarah,

I'm new on the forum to and hoping to get lots of good advice from those more knowledgable about Labs.

I use sainsburys insurence for my other dogs and have found them really good. I also know of people who've had problems with E & L.

Debbie

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the info re e and l guys. I took reassurance from the fact that they are members of and therefore regulated by the FSA. Additonally, my vet recommended them!! I have emailed them with the suggestion that they have a reputation for not paying out on claims and will obviously post their reply!!

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Hi Sarah, bet you can't wait!

We have always used PetPlan for Shadow. It may cost more for the top scheme, but the peace of mind is great. Since Shadow had to have his hip op at 8 months they have covered all ongoing treatment and meds since, currently standing at over £5000, and payment is really quick. I really can't reccommend them highly enough. With pet insurance, the trick is to make sure that they cover the injury for the life of the dog and not just for the policy year.

Good luck with your new arrival :D

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Sarah,

We have insurance with Direct Line, and they have always been great.

We havent actually claimed for Harvey luckily, but our cats are accident prone and we have claimed a few times.

We pay £12.75 for Harvey a month - thats the advance cover.

Lots of luck,
Best wishes

Fay

·
Registered
99 Posts
Congratulations!! We too have just ordered our puppy who was born on 4/4/05 - so probably the same age as yours, so I can completely understand the excitement and impatients that you are feeling at the moment :lol: We are hopefully going to meet our pup next week, he is black - the only one in a litter of yellows. Have you any ideas on names yet? We were actually after a bitch, but as there were no blacks in the litter opted for a dog - so we had a 'final' listing of female names which have now had to be scraped!! So back to the disagreements - I think we are going to call him Harley, Lucca or Cody but until we see him its hard to tell what suits :p Has any one else any recommendations re pet insurance?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi

We chose our pup (she's 9 months old now) when she was 4 weeks old. We went back four weeks later to collect her and the breeder handed us this beautiful little black puppy and we were almost speechless. She is still beautiful and has a fabulous nature. We called her Scout (after the little girl in To Kill a Mockingbird) and she has lived up to the name - tenacious, funny, brave and mischevious!

We insured her with the Kennel Club insurance and we are happy with it. The main tips I would give you are.... buy a kong, buy her some toys of her own, buy a crate (scout loves hers - treats it like a small bedroom!, we have never locked her up in it but it's where she feels safe), start training straight away. I was given some great advice by a friend who said 'what you think is funny now, might not be so funny when they weigh 30 pounds and you can't control them'!!

She's such fun. Enjoy your new addition!.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Congratulations Sarah! You must be so excited - can't wait to hear more about your new addition! We chose Smudge (or he chose us!) at 2 1/2 weeks old. We picked him up at 7 1/2 weeks. The day we went to pick him up, and I saw him again for the first time in 5 weeks, I nearly cried because he looked so perfect and beautiful! In fact, I watched the video yesterday that his breeder made of him and his brothers and sisters from birth and I did cry because it reminded me of how small he was! The love you feel for them is just amazing.

Anitmischevious!a said:
We called her Scout (after the little girl in To Kill a Mockingbird)
My nephew's middle name is Atticus after the lead character in that book/film! I know it's a strange sounding name, but it does represent a very good man.

All the best to all,
Nicola.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts