Labradors Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my renewal through today for Mojo. My premiums have now gone up by 27% on last year, so now it is £335 PA (£27.99 PM). I thought I would question this price, if only to find out the reasons why the big jump and was told that they have had to raise the premiums for pedigree dogs and especially Labradors, due to the amount of claims made for their well known healthy problems. I was then told of the prices of MRI Scans, Cruciate repairs, Replacement Hips, etc (like I didn't already know), so that plus the age of the dog (Mojo is now 5 so hardly elderly) this is what has bought about the big raise in premiums. :?

Oh and I DO now have to pay the extra 10% excess, on top of the £70, even though this was not in my policy for her last year. I know we discussed this on an earlier thread and I'm now going to go and have another look at that, as I thought it had been agree that existing policies didn't change. :?

Basically they have me over a barrell, as I'm sure every other Insurance Co would do too. I can't change policies because of previous claims, so they can hammer me for extra cash anyway they like and I did point this out to the guy, although knowing there was nothing he could do about it (he was only the monkey not the organ grinder).

The fact that I have 3 dogs insured with them, plus a car apparently means nothing either :roll: .

So watch out folks, as if he is speaking the truth about premiums having to be much more for Labs due to the amount of health problems in the breed, then it won't take long before all the other Companies catch on :roll: .

:evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
Well it will be interesting to know, wot my premium with PetPlan will be next month for Woody as it is due then. & seeing as he is one of these labs who has had one of these major problems too, also bearing in mind he is 6! :roll:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm afraid our dog is contributing to your premium going up. Amber is 17 months already has epilepsy and today has had x-rays showing she has a deformed hip joint with oseoarthritis in her hip and knee joint!! Here comes hydrotherapy/physiotherapy/analgesia/injections to rebuild her cartlidge and a special precription diet!! Our premiums went up 25% this year and that was before she started medication for her epilepsy and her new problem. Dread to think about next years but its looking like whatever we pay she will be getting her monies worth!!

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
What have you had to claim for in the past for Mojo Jules.

The price of vetenary treatment is very expensive but you are paying nearly twice as much as i do with direct line.

·
Registered
577 Posts
That is what I'm paying Pet plan for my 5 year old dog whom has previous claims on the policy and I don't have to pay anything on top of the excess either. I can't believe they won't give you a discount for having 3 dogs insured with them either. Can't believe that they can get away with such a huge jump in 1 year it seems very wrong just to spring it on you like that.
Katrina

·
Registered
266 Posts
Dont talk to me about Morethan!!!
When Cassie died they wouldnt settle my claim as they wanted proof she had died i.e another letter/claim form from my vet proving this-even though my vet had included a full breakdown of cost on the first form including a euthansia fee which they happily deducted from my first payout. they said i had to prove she was dead if i wanted to claim the cost of her back.
Now 3 months down the line they have taken a months premium for cassie out of my account-completly out of the blue!!!

Having phoned them this morning to ask why they r taking premiums again for Cassie i got told it was a computer error.I am FUMING!!!!
no APOLOGY NOTHING!!!!
Molly is with Animal Friends and even though its more expensive i have a high level of cover,excellant customer service and only a 49.00 excess.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I asked a friend for advice on who to have my car insurance with and she said 'just dont go to More Than'.

And she works for them 8O

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
:roll: :evil: ...mines due in the next few months...I understand that premiums will increase but to change excess terms doesn't seem right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
_Den_ said:
What have you had to claim for in the past for Mojo Jules.
For her elbow ops Den, when she was a year old. I have had no further claims though.

I have had no trouble with More Than before now. They have paid out promptly for my claims with no problems in the past, so I was happy to stay with them.

It was more the whole conversation that had me thinking. If they have already jumped on the "Pedigree dogs (and especially Labs) have loads of problems" bandwaggon, then it won't be long before all the companies do the same.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Oh thats a bum then isnt it, it would be sods law that you change your insurance company and her elbows flare up again.

Sadly seems like thay have you over a barrel

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Thanks for the warning Jules - I changed Corbie to More Than in Feb, so will be interested to see how much that goes up next Feb when he'll also be 5.

I might have to change companies again.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Sadly, I think your premium is about right for our neck of the woods....it's about what I pay for Basil who's 3 and has never had a claim.

It's all chicken and egg isn't it, the vets charge more and 'do' more than they would if we had no insurance and then the insurance companies charge us more as we're claiming more. So the vets and insurance peeps are all better off and we're not at all :roll:

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Jules, I have been with direct line for years and more than happy with them, i had Twix's renewal today (she is 14 and claimed twice over the years, cut pad and tumour removal last year) and it has been increased from £29.99 to £35.27 with standard £80.00 excess.

I am very pleased and just wait Jana and Cori's renewal with interest as I have never claimed for either of them :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dear All

With all the DNA testing you do with labradors, can't you argue with the companies that you have goods hip scores, clear eye test each year, this optigen & cnm
surly they must take individual heath tests into account?

Dany

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Dany,

no they don't. It's far more simplistic than other insurances, basically your postcode (and even then not your street just the vague area)and the age of the dog.
Apparently direct line dont even consider previous claims :?

It does seem unfair doesn't it?

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
What a bummer Jules. It must be a recent thing with More Than changing all of their new or renewal policies.

I know with Scoob's insurance the terms remained the same but my renewal was earlier this year.

I'm seriously thinking of changing Scoob's and Rusti's insurance to another provider just in case of any long term claims I need to make. If I stay with More Than and have to claim, I'd then be stuck with them :?

·
Registered
602 Posts
This is awful. The cheeky beggers, they can basically say what they like and do what they like.

I've just had Hudson's renewal and it's gone down, but I chose to pay a bit more initially and go with NFU.

Does show that not all insurance companies are thinking about Labs in the same way though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts