Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've found it very difficult to toilet train him, and although it's been a few weeks since we had an accident in the house he still doesn't tell us when he needs to go, so we're in and out at least once an hour (usually more or unless he's sleeping).

Just now, he scratched the door so we let him out and he wee'd and poo'd and came straight back in and is carrying on playing!

I'm feeling very proud of him right now! Finally, it seems like everything is clicking into place! I'm hoping that this is going to continue so we can reduce the number of times we're out 'just in case' now the weather is getting colder!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He has done it quite a few times now! Still not every time but about 60% of the time the last couple of days! When we then ask if he wants a "wee wee" he kind of nods his head and barks without barking - I can't explain it but he opens his mouth as if to bark but with no noise!

He really seems to be growing up these last few weeks, he's mouthing much less, letting us know when he needs the toilet (even if he just stands staring at the door) and he's able to hold his sit and down for much longer now! Plus, now we've de-crated him at night he's sleeping right through and not moving at all! Saffy has settled much better too and they just snuggle together at the bottom of the bed now with no messing! We even had a lie in this morning which was lovely - until at 8am the builders next door started drilling and banging! We'll try again tomorrow :D

As much as I love every second I spend with them and have enjoyed everything about puppyhood, there are a few puppy things I won't be sad to see the back of (lots of accidents in the house is one of them)! I know they're still pups, but they are growing up so fast! They make me smile every single day with new things!

Today's new trick was both dogs chasing their tails in sync! They had us howling with laughter because they were spinning at the same speed, catching their tail within a second of each other, and flopped when they got too dizzy at the same time! They are both so much fun to be around :)

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Well done Humphrey!! Zasa's like that, she runs through to the kitchen, then comes back and looks at me through the gap between the back of the chair and the wall. Last night though, when we got down stairs to the dog yard, she took one look outside and decided to cross her legs :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
ilovemylabby said:
He has done it quite a few times now! Still not every time but about 60% of the time the last couple of days! When we then ask if he wants a "wee wee" he kind of nods his head and barks without barking - I can't explain it but he opens his mouth as if to bark but with no noise!
Tatze does that!

There is some noise, but mor of a little 'mwaaph' than a bark. If we ignore that she builds it up to a bark - but with some effort.

:)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tarimoor said:
Well done Humphrey!! Zasa's like that, she runs through to the kitchen, then comes back and looks at me through the gap between the back of the chair and the wall. Last night though, when we got down stairs to the dog yard, she took one look outside and decided to cross her legs :lol:
It's no fun being out in this weather! Zasa is definitely a sensible girl! As soon as they're done my two are back inside straight away!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boogs said:
ilovemylabby said:
Tatze does that!

There is some noise, but mor of a little 'mwaaph' than a bark. If we ignore that she builds it up to a bark - but with some effort.

:)
That's what Saffy does! We spent ages teaching her to scratch the door and then opened it so the knew that scratching meant the door opens and she can go out. She scratches, then does the thing like Tatze, then barks if we're not being quick enough for her liking!

·
Registered
29 Posts
thats great news! and the synchronised tail chasing sounds brilliant! video it next time I'm sure I'm not the only now wh would love to see it!! :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Congrats on Humphrey's toileting success. Molly is very odd as she has never pooed indoors and is dry for 8 hours overnight, but during the day is totally unreliable and doesn't attempt to ask to go out but just wees right in front of me! Frustrating - but she's not quite 12 weeks so I'm sure it will come.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will try and video it next time! It's adorable! They've never done it so synchronised before! They each do it from time to time, but usually one after the other!

Molly is still young - it'll come! Saffy was very similar. At 9 weeks she slept through the night with no accidents and only ever poo'd inside once (on her first day with us). At 10 weeks I can honestly say she was reliably toilet trained and letting us know when she needed to go even at other peoples houses! The only accident she's ever had since was when she was around 16/17 weeks old and she had a UTI! I think because she was so quick to learn we thought we were toilet training geniuses so it was a bit of a shock that he took so long to learn, especially having Saffy as an example!

Molly will get it soon enough! One day you'll all of a sudden realise that there's been no accidents for a week or two! My only advice is to give a treat every single time she wee's or poo's outside! Our vet said to completely ignore accidents indoors and try not to let her see you clean it (in case it turns into a game). That approach worked perfectly with Saffy. With Humphrey it didn't work as fast but did eventually!

Today we had a walk this morning and both had a wee and a poo. They both asked to go out twice and came back in straight away (separately), and on their walk after dinner both wee'd and poo'd again. We've not taken them out since that walk but they'll need to go out before bed whether they want to or not! So at 5 and 7 months, Molly may be able to hold it for a while like my two! Going out with them even 5/6 times a day including walks is much different to the 25-30 times a day minimum we were taking them out whilst toilet training! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts