Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago i made a topic about Kaiser having an allergic reaction and how the vet had put him onto a short course of steroids. Well i just wanted to say thank you to everyone that replied and offered advice and give an update as to how Kaiser has been doing since.

After coming off the steroids Kaiser didnt have another major reaction, however we did notice that he was getting lumps under his coat on his back that seemed to be irritating him and he would try to bite them which caused them to scab. He then started getting them under the base of his tail as well and although some would go after a day or so, the ones he could reach he would bite and these also scabbed over.

Well at the time the vet suggested that if his reactions continued that i would be better off checking him for a food allergy by putting him on a bag of their hypo-allergenic food which cost £60 and that wasnt even for a 15k bag! I wasnt really impressed with my vets at the time and decided to try changing his food over myself before going back to the vets with him.

So every night we bathed the base of his tail with salt water and we began changing his food from Purina Beta to JWB. He was also having the Bonio biscuits made by Purina so we stopped giving him these as well and started giving him the JWB cracker jacks if we were giving him a treat.

The change over of the food went well, we took it really slow but we got there with it and we had no problems with diaorreah (sp?). Kaiser has been on JWB for a while now and we can see a big difference in his coat. He has had no allergic reactions and he hasnt been getting the lumps under his coat, the base of his tail is now fully cleared up as well. He also has a shine to his coat now which he didnt have before and its alot softer to touch. :D

So on the whole Kaiser is doing really well and we didnt need to go on the £60 food from the vets :evil:

After the New Year my BF is hoping to get a car so we will be able to start looking round at other vets that we wouldnt have been able to get to before.

So i would just like to thank everyone that gave me advice on this when i first posted about it, it was very much appreciated and Kaiser is now feeling much better. :D

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Good news he is getting better .I hope it continues for you.
:D :D
it seems alot of vets these days seem to be more money orientated than anything else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts