Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some new shots from the fantastic Mathew Breach.

Allan and his girl waiting for those circling ducks....

His fearsome weapon ;-)

Guys - this TOO could be you if your missus takes up running a Gundog Club ;-) 'Pack Pony....'

Di

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Fabby shots :D

As an aside I see Allan still works Jade on his left despite being a leftie and a shooter :) ....I don't shoot but sort of use it as an excuse as it just seems right to me to have a dog on my right side.
Does he carry a stick right handed or not use one then?

Sorry just pondering how much less 'khak' handed (as my OH calls it :roll: )Allan is than me.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sarah he is very 'khak handed indeed'. COMPLETELY So.... but he inherited Jade from me a couple of years ago (as such) and she had for 4 years been trained on the left by me, a 'normal' person ;-) So he just had to adjust.....

He holds a stick in his left hand, just got a new one specially for left handers actually, and jolly nice it is too and Jade just avoids it basically.... But in a walk up line he doesn't carry a stick so her heeling on the left is just fine. He has to send her and line her out with his right hand though and seems to do Ok on this.... I never thought about it, funny enough, must ask him if its a struggle ever...

Di

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I suppose it's just what you get used to, I used to play hockey right handed and never found it odd.

I think I could swop if I had to, Basil will heel either side anyway. I wonder if I should do it 'properly' with Nellie and have her on my left when I send her :?
Something to think about - sorry for going OT.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries. If you plan to compete with her at any level aty any time I would definately only heel her on the left - or at least MAINLY heel her on the left.

Di

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
....sorry one last OT Q - asides competition would it be a problem at training eg KSS sessions? I've only really done gundog club ones with basil and we just go on the end so it's not dog-next-to-dog in a line up IYSWIM?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I don't really know, there are so very few people who heel their dogs on the right. I have seen one or two over the years but very few... it wouldn't be ideal to have them on the right, so dog next to dog... you might find the odd person a little flappy about it especially in puppy classes... keeps them a bit more focused forward with a person in between. But there is no hard and fast rule. You will just find a lot of trainers saying 'Ok, put your dog, sarah, on the proper side for this exercise please'... so I'd be prepared to be able to...
Di

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Errr anyone know how to reduce a picture size... not resolution but the actual size of it? My sig picture is too big now.... was too small when I reduced the resolution size!

??

Di

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
No idea Di, I'm the biggest technophobe there is going! Nice piccies though :D

Sarah - Feebarn heels Pasco on her right, and she's starting to enter competitions etc. Don't think it's caused her any/many probs at group training sessions.

I'm a lefty too but I find doing anything right-handed really awkward, incl having a dog on my right. I'm finding lining up with my right hand a bit awkward for me, but not insurmountable. One thing I do find immensely difficult is having dog on my left and also dummy throwing with my left. I just can't throw with my right. I'm tending to just do memories now as I'm finding it far too awkward to keep Bracken nicely at heel and also throw in a straight line. Hate being a lefty.... would give anything to be a righty.... no issues with stupid scissors that won't work, doors opening the wrong way, switches and buttons being on the wrong side of the microwave etc etc etc!!!

Sorry to go even more OT :wink: :oops:

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
..... 8O At the thought of throwing right handed. Off to start a new thread - sorry Di for going waaay off course from your lovely pics.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Loving the photos. Allan looks quite the country dish in them :wink: :D

Beautiful Jade (not that I'm biased or anything) :love7:

Also, excellent signature photo. Have tried shrinking it for you (too small now?). Just right click on it and 'save as' to your PC, if it's of any use that is.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow, excellent pics Di. I just have to add my own photo here as well. My better half with the girls after a successfull "little Xmas", as the beginning of pigeon hunt is called here :x-mas: ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts