Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Buster is 5 months old and he is still jumping up - I have tried treats,'off' and 'sit' commands, but he does not respond. He is also nipping and pulling at peoples clothes. He also does this to people when they are seated, again I have used the off and sit command and he takes no notice, I have to resort to physically removing him off people but he just bounces back on again. Removing him from the room doesnt work as when I let him back in he is ok for a while then starts again.

He went throught the nipping stage as a young puppy and this stopped at 3 months, then somebody bought him a rope toy and he started it all again.( I took the rope toy off him ) Only it's got worse. I should have thought that at 5 months there would be an improvement. I am concerned that he will carry this through to adulthood, is it a phase ?

Any suggestions please? :?

Kev

G

·
Hi Kev,

I managed to train Oscar to not jump up at (most) people by ignoring him when he tried.

From as soon as we bought him home at 8 weeks, if he ever tried to jump up at us, we would just put our hands behind our backs and ignore him (as best you can when a dog is jumping - a bit harder now he's almost 1 and enormous :lol: )

After a while of looking up at us to try and get our attention, he would sit down becuase it was easier to look up at us with his bottom on the floor.

The second he sat we gave him lots of attention.

He very quickly learnt that if he wanted attention he sat down in front of us he got it - if he jumps up, he just gets ignored.

He looks very cute when he does it to people in the street too.. if he wants them to talk to him, he just sits in front of them. Almost alwasy guarenteed to get an awww. :)

For both my Dad and my father in law though, he still jumps up! When he was little, and we were training him to sit rather than jump up, they could never resist stroking him and gicing him fuss when he jumped up, so he has learnt there's no need to sit for them :roll: No matter how many times we tell them to ignore him, they just can't halp themselves.. but then as long as it's only just them he jumps at I'm not really bothered.

HTH

Sarah

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Kev

I totally agree with Sarah on this one. We have also been told to ignore Smudge when he does this and also to get down to his level to pet him so that he doesn't really need to jump up.

Having said that, he is nearly 6 months old and still very boisterous. If he starts to play bite me (normally when we are playing with his toys) then I just get up and walk off into the kitchen. However, he very often chases me and tries to bite the back of my legs (or worse!) as I am walking away. I just then shut the door and stay shut away for a few minutes. He's normally more settled when I come back again.

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice :)

I will be ignoring Buster from now on when he jumps up and will be making sure everyone else does too!

Easier said than done though cos when I am in the street I do my best to stop him jumping up strangers but nine times out of ten they say something like '' Oh he's only a puppy'' and let him jump up! I think it's harder with Lab puppies cos most people can't resist them can they?

Kev

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes, I have this problem with Scooby as well - who is now 5 months.

He doesn't jump up at me much but does everyone else. It is really hard as most people respond by stroking him or waving their hands around saying 'down', which really confuses him!

If I am walking him on the lead and he sees someone he will try to drag me across the road to see them and jump up. Today got through a gap in the hedge to accost some teenage girl walking up the road. Luckily for her, she had an umbrella to fend him off :?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Tracey said:
If I am walking him on the lead and he sees someone he will try to drag me across the road to see them and jump up. Today got through a gap in the hedge to accost some teenage girl walking up the road. Luckily for her, she had an umbrella to fend him off :?
Hi there

I can fully relate to this! Smudge pulls so much if he sees anyone - young, old, male, female, with or without dog! I often wonder if this is because he doesn't see many other people than Chris and myself? As mentioned in another post, I am going to start taking him to Cambridge City Centre so he can walk around with lots of people around him. Should be interesting! If you see us on the News at Ten, you'll know he's been a tad naughty!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I often wonder if this is because he doesn't see many other people than Chris and myself?
Hi Jessie is 7 months old now and she meets different people all the time but she still does this whenever she sees anybody given half the chance.

What everyone has said about the jumping up is true for us too, she knows not to jump up at us or the children because we have always ignored it and made a fuss of her when she stayed on the ground, so now she just runs up to you wagging her tail so hard she almost looks like she is bending in half. However my dad, who often came round in the early days to play with her and let her out for a wee on the days I went to work always made allowance for her being a puppy so she still goes mad and jumps all over him when he comes in :?

We have tried stopping and making her sit when we see people approaching when we are out so that if they want to walk by without being accosted by Jess they can at the same time praisig her for sitting quietly and keeping her attention on us. Then if the people walking by want to stop and talk to us/her (as happens all the time now that we have a beautiful lab :) ) she is controlled and sat down and we can enforce to her that this is the way we greet people when we are out on a walk.

She is far from perfect but she is getting the message :p [/quote]

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well at least I'm not alone on this one :)

[/quote] I am going to start taking him to Cambridge City Centre so he can walk around with lots of people around him.

I take Buster to the local shops and he just goes from one person to another jumping up at them. I wouldn't dare go into the city centre I think we would get arrested :oops: lol

Kev

ps How do you do a 'quote' so it highlights ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts