Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Does anyone give their dogs cod liver oil or glucosamine to help protect their joints. I've been thinking of giving Poppy glucosamine to help protect her joints in later life as she jumps round like a loon and am just concerned about the damage it may cause.

Also depending on the advise given should i give her 500mg or the 1000mg.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Scamp is on Glucosamine for his hips. He is on 1000mg atm as he is a big dog and is having some stiffness but once it has started to work he will be dropped to 500mg a day. Your pup looks pretty little so i would say 500mg is more than enough tbh.
KAtrina

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
If your dog us younger than 3 years and doesn't have joint problems, there is no need to give any supplements.

I use Kordels Joint Food Powder for Eliza and Keira as they both have joint problems, but my orthopaedic vet recommends that any large dog should taken some at 3 years on.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Thanks for that, don't think i will give her any at the mo she is only 10 months. I was just trying to think ahead a bit you know damage limitation, as she thinks her name is tigger lol.

Still a little under weight to at just under 20kg, vet thinks ideal would be 21kg shall have to see how she looks when she has put a bit more on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts