Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a seven month puppy, first poop of the day is fine, a the day goes on they get quite loose. She is currently on 3 meals per day, James Wellbeloved Jnr. I was thinking of changing to Arden Grange. I do not feed the recommended quantity of food as this seemed excessive. Has anyone had a similar experience of James Wellbeloved, is Arden Grange a good alternative?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Having had dogs for a number of years - and a lab pup for almost a year, my feeling is they are all so different in their digestion that it is a case of choose a good food within your budget and cautiously feed it to pup observing the effects. As you will know the choice is vast and can be rather confusing with long ingredient lists.
Some advice that I got from this site is, fairly early on, introduce some variety and some home foods, that approach has certainly seemed to help our girl develop a cast iron stomach.
Regarding firming things up a bit, that's exactly what I needed to do with Jas at about 3 months. She went from a decent enough kibble onto Burns and things improved, but, I don't think it's necessarily helpful for me to recommend a specific food, somewhat repeating myself, choose a brand that has a good reputation, is available to you locally and within your budget. Good luck with it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Having had dogs for a number of years - and a lab pup for almost a year, my feeling is they are all so different in their digestion that it is a case of choose a good food within your budget and cautiously feed it to pup observing the effects. As you will know the choice is vast and can be rather confusing with long ingredient lists.
Some advice that I got from this site is, fairly early on, introduce some variety and some home foods, that approach has certainly seemed to help our girl develop a cast iron stomach.
Regarding firming things up a bit, that's exactly what I needed to do with Jas at about 3 months. She went from a decent enough kibble onto Burns and things improved, but, I don't think it's necessarily helpful for me to recommend a specific food, somewhat repeating myself, choose a brand that has a good reputation, is available to you locally and within your budget. Good luck with it
Thank you for the reply

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
James Wellbeloved used to be a small independent manufacturer, and then got bought out by Crown which is a subsidiary of Mars who make Pedigree foods from memory. It dropped in quality but not price, if you look at other similarly marketed foods they have a better meat content.

Often if you're feeding too much pups will have loose stools, it's not just the quality but the quantity that can affect whether they have firmer/loose stools. My lot are generally raw fed which tends to produce consistently firm stools because of the raw bones, but I do use kibble when I don't have the freezer space and tend to opt for something like Simpson's premium, which has a good amount of good quality meat in there, and the price is pretty fair as well.

The pup I have now came to me on Arden Grange, her breeder has used it for a number of years and her dogs are all in good shape. It's fairly similar to Simpsons for quality/price, one of the easiest websites to take a look at is 'All About Dog Food', you can quickly compare ingredients and price on there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
James Wellbeloved used to be a small independent manufacturer, and then got bought out by Crown which is a subsidiary of Mars who make Pedigree foods from memory. It dropped in quality but not price, if you look at other similarly marketed foods they have a better meat content.

Often if you're feeding too much pups will have loose stools, it's not just the quality but the quantity that can affect whether they have firmer/loose stools. My lot are generally raw fed which tends to produce consistently firm stools because of the raw bones, but I do use kibble when I don't have the freezer space and tend to opt for something like Simpson's premium, which has a good amount of good quality meat in there, and the price is pretty fair as well.

The pup I have now came to me on Arden Grange, her breeder has used it for a number of years and her dogs are all in good shape. It's fairly similar to Simpsons for quality/price, one of the easiest websites to take a look at is 'All About Dog Food', you can quickly compare ingredients and price on there.
Thank you, very helpful

1 - 5 of 5 Posts