Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as you know we have not had jack very long but for the strangest of reasons he will just snap at our yorkie ..i mean they were both sat either side of my partner the other day and he snapped over my partner to get to her she ran away shaking like a leaf ,
tonight he has gone for her in the kitchen as she was eating her own food after he had finished his ..we feed them at the same time but in diff areas of the kitchen away from each other ,
i know hes a rescue dog and we have no idea what he had been through and we know he is ill too (still on meds ) but im just very concerned about the behaviour ...he has a vet check up on thursday think i may ask then to see what they say as its very worrying with having kids in the house who play on the floor .
advise would be appreciated ty in advance

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
First thing I'm sure you're already bang on top of is NEVER EVER leaving toddlers alone with any dog of any size.... But I think I didn't really need to type that as you strike me as a sensible and considerate person just by reading a few of your posts!!!

Jacks new in the house and sounds like he's had it tough in his previous life. To me he's getting his confidence and trying to establish his position in the pack - that includes everyone and everything in the house! You need to nip this behaviour in the bud pronto. Labs are up there as the upper intelligent K9 breeds and he'll pick it up quick but you need to be strong firm committed and consistent in discipline. Very very tough when your pooch is ill or you know he's had a rough ride
My example is via my own indiscretion!!
Judy is an absolute genius and reads moods and situations like a book, she knows her rules, her boundaries and exactly how far she can push it and when
So begging at the dinner table, bullying the cat, ignoring recall, taking treats without being told are Ll taboo in our house. When she got diagnosed with ED I totally crumbled and Molly coddled her terribly. Slowly she sensed my weakness and years of good work was undone in weeks!!! She has days now where she's a terror and gives it large to the cat and sometimes barks her dissaproval at our commands - the cheek of it!! All my fault.
We are now in a back to basics period and she's not liking it but again my fault for greying the rules

So what I'm saying is you and your family set the rules, you show the dogs where they sit in the lack (equals just below the humans I would hope) and you can sculpt that small bit of dominance he's showing out of him

People on here have disagreed with me but I found Jan Fennells book on dog leadership very useful when we first got our pup. It sure as he'll can work on older dogs too

Good luck and don't worry too much about it but take charge now!

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Keep a close eye, make a record of each incident, who near... Food involved... Etc etc, observations on anything useful. You may be able to spot a pattern or could help vet identify trigger if related to Health issue.

make sure children are always supervised around him and ensure that your little yorkie has an escape place... Maybe a baby gate between 2 rooms that she can get through and he can't?

Saying that it could all be part of the process of settling in. Throw dogs together and you see different sides to them. Luna had never growled, snarled or snapped at a dog before tucker came home. He was 14 months old with no manners and it took a few snaps at tucker to get him to realise her boundaries. Not had a problem since the first 2 weeks together. The snaps happened during 'play', he was just too rough!

Hope that jack settles down, it could be he is testing his boundaries... Do give him an ah-ah- or no if he behaves in a way you don't want and then show him how he should be behaving and reward. It could be he is feeling better so now is the time to train, play and show him how lucky he is to land in a house that wants to learn about him and have him learn about them.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I'd feed them in separate rooms for now. It may not resolve any issues, but it will prevent them scrapping while they're eating, while you monitor other interactions.

I've always fed a new dog separately to start with, until they get to know each other and I know how best to arrange bowls etc. I don't feed in any order other than which makes the most sense (eg fastest eater rather than trying to enforce any 'pack' stuff) and when I start feeding them in the same room, I make sure they have lots of space. But yes, as he's so new and is receiving vet treatment and you're all still getting to know each other, I'd definitely feed them apart.

I'm sure you've already thought to separate them if you need to leave them at home together for the time being too.

Hope things settle down.

?

·
0 Posts
It sounds like he is Resource Guarding. This could be for various reasons, but when you think that resources such as food and the food giver are imperative to life, you can see why some, especially those from less stable backgrounds, do guard their resources, be that food, bed, leader/protector, even toys sometimes.

I personally don't think it's anything to do with Dominance, he is just guarding what he feels he needs to survive. Hopefully, with time and management, he'll realise your little Yorkie isn't going to steal away his life giving resources. Until then though, I'd be very careful about allowing anyone approach him while he is guarding something and I would definitely feed him in a different room from the Yorkie and the children. Just doing this may bring down his stress levels and make him less reactive.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all for the posts i do appreciate the information ...its over toys and food. they have there own toys but he has pinched princesses rope tennis ball claw so i have bought another to save any upset ,
they are fed in different rooms and hes never gone for the kids or us ...he always goes to the kids put his head on them or paw for a stroke(we are in the same room all times ) he is such a kind natured dog so its just funny to see how it happens ...hes only done it twice so far ,
hes got lots of things he does like paws sit lay heal and stuff and im wondering if hed benefit from going to a training class to give him something to do and benefit from ..i jused to take my other lab he loved it ,

THANK YOU AGAIN TO YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND SUPPORT . XX

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
When Bean came to live with us the first week he was a model dog, then week 2 he has his paws under the table and he would start to test a few boundaries, in addition to this he developed food guarding, now I am used to being able to walk around mine while eating and it needs be take away a bone etc, but the first time I went to touch the bone Bean was eating, Boy did he let me know in no uncertain terms it was his.

However, I left him be so he learned that he wasn't going to loose his precious bone, and instead, over time when he had a bone I would offer him something delicious as well, so instead of looking at me as someone who would take something away, I was seen as someone who was giving instead.

We progressed to at the same time as giving something tasty to him letting me sit near him with the bone, then stroke him while he had the bone, to now he isn't even bothered if I take it.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
That's a good point to mention, Nat. It sounds as though Jack is only behaving this way towards the other dog in the house, but yes, definitely don't be trying to just take 'stuff' away as some will advise. I've worked through some food aggression issues (the dog's, not mine!) in the past and things started off with my having to feed the dogs in separate rooms, but with confidence building and reassurance around food, the two dogs ended up being very happy to eat near each other and swap bowls afterwards etc.

I just thought to also mention growling. I don't know you at all, Cay, so I'm not making assumptions :flower: but sometimes people reprimand their dogs for growling, when actually it's the dogs way of communicating and forcing them to suppress the growl may result in problems escalating, but without the warning in place. Like I said, I just thought to mention this, just in case. I am not assuming anything :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont shout at him for growling he only does it as n when ,
we can walk past him eating ..give hm stuff take it off him hes no isssues ,
today has been good as hes not once done anything to princess ,
he dont really seem to have issues with her he looks after her makes sure shes in garden on her bed and lets her drink from his water bowl ...then as i stated they were both been stroked either side my partner and he lunged at her, there was nothing around only my partner stroking them one each side .
im willing to work through it and see how we go as we have no idea of his life or history ...could be that he was attacked by a smaller dog ,they will curl up on rug together and sleep on the same bed if they feel the need ,i just let them go at their pace but keep a close eye .
jack is amazing with the kids i was only asking about the lunge incase he transfered it to the kids but he loves the fusses off the kids goes to them sits and gives them his paw so they will stroke him .its all a puzzel i guess we will never understand with not having him from a puppy .
needless to say i am keeping notes of everything and so far touch wood today has been a good day (both laying on rug side by side as i type this asleep ...he went to princess and lay beside her )

ty all for the help its appreciated

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
It sounds like hopefully things will settle down as he grows to trust Princess. You've reminded me of an incident from the first weeks Tucker came home. I gave both dogs a small rawhide chew, Tucker legged it into his crate to eat. Luna finished hers first and was sniffing around the door of the crate when Tucker growled at her. He did the same recently when a friend's puppy was visiting. I removed Luna from the room in the first incident until he came out and shut the crate door in the second so the pup couldn't stray into Tucker-zone. My dogs are absolutely fine with chewing close to each other nowadays and lay comfortably in the same room, I keep an eye but after I kept the fast finisher away from the slow finisher consistently in the early days with an AH-AH or NO they seen to have given each other space and respect without me intervening now. I recall I shut the crate door for a while after the first incident when I gave him a chew so he couldn't go in to a space he needed to protect, I also left the back door open so Luna could chew outside while he stayed indoors - she's an outdoor girl at heart!

Tucker is a complete and utter fuss-lover so tends to be very good at shoving aside any dog looking for fuss from a human. I sometimes make a protective shield around Luna with my body so that he cannot 'steal' the fusses I am giving her! Maybe as Jack realises that he is going to get as much fuss and love as he needs from you he'll be less inclined to try to warn Princess away from the fuss he is getting from his humans??

It is still early days for your gang but it sounds like things are moving in the right direction :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts