Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lab oscar, my best friend, hes 10 and half been diagnosed with diabetes about 4 months ago. Insulin twice a day. Theyve done glucose curve but seems to be a little insulin resistant so they're checking him for cushion syndrome.
Started insulin 8mg now hes on 13mgs twice day.
Yesterday noticed hes losing his sight if I throw him some chicken he catches everytime (its food labs love food lol) but now hes staring at me whilst chicken hits his nose then hes sniffing to find it.
Not completely lost sight as still knows where the step is to come in or the fence to sit by in the garden.
Cant believe this is happening.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
Sadly sugar cataracts are part of Diabetes. My Katy went totally blind. I'm afraid it did knock her confidence a bit when out. As long as she was on lead she was fine. In the garden she would be guided by me touching her side and would turn to the touch. But it's all a learning curve, you and him working out together what works for you both. But being consistent is what is important. If you are consistent he will work things out. I must admit, for the last 4 years of her life I never moved a thing in the house, so she found her way around with no problem.

With the insulin, could be they will change the type. They normally start with a bovine insulin (Cow) but they can change to porcine (pig). They needed to with Katy.

I think the word is Cushing's, not Cushion. Like Diabetes it's another hormonal problem. This was something my Anna had. If it proves to be the case it can be controlled with Vetoryl Tablets. I must admit though, they are not cheap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly sugar cataracts are part of Diabetes. My Katy went totally blind. I'm afraid it did knock her confidence a bit when out. As long as she was on lead she was fine. In the garden she would be guided by me touching her side and would turn to the touch. But it's all a learning curve, you and him working out together what works for you both. But being consistent is what is important. If you are consistent he will work things out. I must admit, for the last 4 years of her life I never moved a thing in the house, so she found her way around with no problem.

With the insulin, could be they will change the type. They normally start with a bovine insulin (Cow) but they can change to porcine (pig). They needed to with Katy.

I think the word is Cushing's, not Cushion. Like Diabetes it's another hormonal problem. This was something my Anna had. If it proves to be the case it can be controlled with Vetoryl Tablets. I must admit though, they are not cheap.
Thanks for the reply. Its breaking our hearts. I'll ask them about a different type of insulin I thought there was only one. Your right about confidence. Hes always been such a playful dog and watching him try and find his ball it's so sad

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
My first Labrador went blind with PRA. It was easier for her because she went blind slowly, probably over a 2 year period. I learned a lot from her. The single biggest thing was to maintain her confidence. She was still going off lead in the fields, right to the end. I watched her all the time, and at a point she would stop "ambling" and start to be very obviously looking to come back to me. But she has slowed down by then and I could run round her so she always found me without difficulty.

But diabetes cataracts are very different. From good sight to blind was just weeks rather than years, and Katy did not adapt so well. Understandable really. She never wanted to be off lead. If I did take it off she would just stop until I put it back on again. But in the house and garden she was fine. As I said, I never moved anything in the house. In the garden I had low curbing around the flower beds, (Those wood "log rolls") and she could navigate around the garden with no problem. If you can just keep the confidence there then you can keep his enjoyment of life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts