Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, probably nothing serious but wanted to put it out there..........our pup is 16 weeks old and is all up to date with his worming and flea treatment etc but seems to be itching a little more than we would perhaps expect! His skin appears fine, not dry or flakey at all.........any ideas/remedies???

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
Question. Have you had a dog before? Cat? (Thinking fleas in carpets of furnishings reinfecting.) What did you use in the way of flea treatment? Any dandruff?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Question. Have you had a dog before? Cat? (Thinking fleas in carpets of furnishings reinfecting.) What did you use in the way of flea treatment? Any dandruff?
Hi John - No pets before in this house, only 1 visiting dog on 2 occasions and he would have been all up to date with his treatment I’m sure. He’s had a brevacto tablet at the vets at the start of May, which I’m told is good for 12 weeks!? No dandruff or dry skin at all.........all very strange, he’s not constantly itching but I’d say from past experience its more than normal.

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
Brevacto can have side effects, but nothing that would tie in with this. I asked about dandruff because there is a parasite called Cheyletiellosis, common name "Walking Dandruff" because it looks like dandruff, but you said no dandruff, so it's not that. There is two kinds of mange, sarcoptic and dermadetic, but both result in hair loss, so it does not sound like that. Apart from these, really we are looking to allergies, possibly a food allergy, but these can be the very devil to isolate I'm afraid.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
It’s that time of year. Try a soothing shampoo, maybe oat based. It you’ve got an odd, yeasty type aroma, you could try something like malaseb shampoo.

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
I don't know about France Nicola, but Malaseb is prescription only in the UK. But it is very good for skin problems. :)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I usually get it from my vet anyway. 👍

Reactions: JohnW

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We appear to have found the issue after much consideration, adaption and investigation it appears that there was an issue with his food! Long story but in brief it appears the food which on this particular occasion was purchased from an amazon link from the Purina website was rogue in some way! We had only noticed when revisiting the food link and looking at past reviews and it appeared that a number of people had similar issues over the past couple of years! As you can imagine as he had previously had the food we had no need to reflect on the reviews but this is where it all unravelled! We have since changed his food altogether which was the plan anyway and he is much much happier and full of life with no itching or other issues! Thanks all

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
That's a bit poor! It would appear their production controls leave a bit to be desired! :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a bit poor! It would appear their production controls leave a bit to be desired! :(
I think the issue resides with amazon and possibly their storage of the food! The food itself was fine in previous purchases it’s just this one occasion when purchased through amazon! Very pleased it’s all sorted now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts