Labradors Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has ever had a lab with what appears to be itchy gums?

Since Thursday of last week Sophie has been pawing her nose and if she can get her dew claw under her lip she groans and scratches her gums quite hard. She also does it on both sides of her mouth.

Her gums seem a darker pink than normal as well.

I took her to the vet today but she doesn't think there is anything there to be irritating her.

Having just watched her in obvious discomfort as she's pawing her gums again I'm wondering if it could be an alergy?

Anyone experienced anything like this before?

BTW, she's almost 18 months so not teething or anything like that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got back from another trip to the vets as Sophie's gums are now bleeding around her teeth.

Fingers crossed a course of antibiotics will clear this up or they are going to run some tests on her next week.

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Oh dear - can't help other than to say Luna very much enjoys a rub and scratch along her muzzle every now and then where her gums are but nothing as drastic as poor Sophie.

Can you distract her from scratching with a rawhide chew or such like? Do you have a toothbrush? Maybe you could satisfy her 'itchiness' with something softer?

Hope that she stops soon or the vets figure out what's going on.

G

·
My old Lurcher used to get Gingivitis and that caused irritated gums and slight bleeding round the gum line. Lurchers are notorious for having rotten teeth though and even though she had several "Dentals" at the vets and had her teeth cleaned regularly, it rarely solved the problem for more than a few months.

Are Sophie's teeth quite stained with Tartar, as this is what used to start Tara's problems off?

I wish I had had a better supply of raw bones back then, as they certainly seem to keep everything healthy.

I hope Sophie has no more trouble with her gums, as it must be really irritating.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.

Funnily enough her gums don't seem to be bothering her as she is no longer pawing at them.

Her teeth are very clean with no obvious signs of any tartar build up. Her gums round her canines were bleeding slightly when we were at the vets and those teeth are pure white!

It's a bit of a mystery right now but I hope the antibiotics help. I will now go and try to get a "massive" pill down her... time for some cheese. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
itchy gums

Hi my choc lab has ben scratching at his gums daily for over a month. Been to vets and nothing seems wrong. Had antibiotic injection, course of anti histimines and eye drops and still doing it, so back to the vets next week!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sophie is back to being okay now...

I got a second opinion and the vet gave her a 10 day course of antibiotics. Within 2 days I noticed her breath didn't smell anymore and now her gums look fine.

I am also brushing her teeth every day, which is fun. ;)

@lovechocs - does your dog's breath smell? are his gums red? any bleeding from them? My vet (the second one I saw) said that were numerous differnt types of antibiotics to treat gum problems so it's possible you need to try a different course. Good luck, hope you can get your lab back to normal. :)

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Glad that Sophie is recovered!
I tried to get Luna used to toothbrushing when she was a pup! Tried being the key word!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Luna-tic said:
Glad that Sophie is recovered!
I tried to get Luna used to toothbrushing when she was a pup! Tried being the key word!
Txs!

Hehe, yes, tooth brushing!

The first attempt was like a fight... and Sophie ended up with chicken flavour toothpaste all over her nose. ;) As I knew it was imprtant because of the infection she had, I just couldn't let her get away with it and after 3 days she settled down and now lets me clean her canines. I plan to start moving around her mouth over the coming weeks so I can eventually do all of her teeth.

It's easier than cutting nails!

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
treecity said:
It's easier than cutting nails!
Aaaah! Sensing a deal here! I can cut nails - you clean the teeth!!

I've got Luna to let me open her mouth and run my fingers around her teeth to check them. You're making me think I should pull out the toothbrush again and have another go! I have memories of getting chicken toothpaste on MY nose!! (Toothbrushing used to warrant puppy licks so toothpaste on her nose, transferred to toothpaste on mine! :roll: )

People always comment on Luna's white teeth and none stinky breath but I've noticed a lickle staining beginning on the back teeth now - time to hunt out the toothbrush I feel!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts