Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my dog started with a cough ( seemed like he was choking) on Sunday night. Only occasionally and often does, this as he inhales kibble, coughs, then re-eats it. but it seemed more so I took him to the vet.

he was given an anti inflammatory as his neck was sore. Been home and hardly coughed since but been itching up a storm and seems to be getting worse. The chewing/itching is focused on the lower abdomen and sides, with a bit of groin. After a good ‘ session’ he then choke/ coughs.

will check with the vet again tomorrow but anything I can do to sooth him tonight? Also any ideas as cause? He’s vaccinated for kennel cough but know it’s not 100%. He has a suspected grain/wheat allergy. He definitely ate bread on the Sunday ( found some that had been put out for the ducks)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, no problem, it was late. Vet has suggested an antihistamine for the itching ( continuing the anti inflammatory for the throat) and if that doesn’t make a difference bring him back.

hopefully that will help. Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update - the antihistamine does not seem to be making a difference. If any one has any ideas for Remedies ( shampoos etc) they can recomend to sooth itchy skin they’d be greatly received.
He is up to date with flee worm and tick treatments ( regular bravecto) and no evidence of any of these.

I just want to make him more comfortable, poor thing. Thanks for reading and any replies.

·
Administrator
22,241 Posts
Malaseb shampoo is probably the best bet. The only thing is it is prescription only, so you need to either get it direct from your vet, or get a prescription from your vet and buy it online. Though looking at a few places on the net it appears to be in short supply!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts