Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, My dog was bred with a proven stud 5 weeks ago. she went two days on the run on her 9th and 10th day of season and tied both times for 15 minutes plus. she is showing signs of pregnancy, fuller heavy teats. which seem to be hanging like udders. pink swollen teats. clingy behaviour and swollen vulva. took her to vets this week saw a very young vet who performed an ultra sound. she informed me she that the ultra sound detected nothing, she seemed very certain she was not pregnant and claimed that this was a definitive test. others tell me she could be wrong any help or experiences out there of ultra sounds being wrong and the dog still whelping.

Gary

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Hi, I have heard of ultra sounds being wrong, but only by word of mouth, not any one I actually know.

My bitch missed, even though she had us all convinced she was pregnant ,but ultra sounds at 4 and 5 weeks told otherwise, and it was a phantom.

I hope she is pregnant, and if not there is always next time :)

Did you pre mate or just go on how she was acting? I will pre-mate test next time.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Hi gary. Yes everyone knows someone (as with most things in life) who have had an incorrect ultrasound, but usually only if it is done in the 4th week.

i have to say for the vast vast vast majority of bitches, days 9 and 10 would be at least three or more days too early, and if she has missed I would sincerely premate blood test her next time round as chances are, despite accepting the dog, she was not ovulating.

A tie shows nothing i'm afraid. Even bitches not in season who have a dog forciably pentrate them can and will tie...its an involentary muscle reaction, not something that indicates if she was ready or not as regards ovulation.

I myself had a bitch scanned at 5 weeks once and it seemed to show empty. But she had a single puppy at 62 days. If at 5 weeks your ultrasound is showing 'empty' it may be that she does have one or two in there, but you can feel pretty certain it won't be many. Nothing is flawless, but ultrasounds done by experienced people are pretty reliable on the whole. They may not give an accurate 'headcount' but they rarely miss reliably informing if pregnant or not as a 'yes/no' answer.

Sounds sadly like she is just having a phantom....

Di

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Diana said:
Hi gary. Yes everyone knows someone (as with most things in life) who have had an incorrect ultrasound, but usually only if it is done in the 4th week.

i have to say for the vast vast vast majority of bitches, days 9 and 10 would be at least three or more days too early, and if she has missed I would sincerely premate blood test her next time round as chances are, despite accepting the dog, she was not ovulating.

A tie shows nothing i'm afraid. Even bitches not in season who have a dog forciably pentrate them can and will tie...its an involentary muscle reaction, not something that indicates if she was ready or not as regards ovulation.

I myself had a bitch scanned at 5 weeks once and it seemed to show empty. But she had a single puppy at 62 days. If at 5 weeks your ultrasound is showing 'empty' it may be that she does have one or two in there, but you can feel pretty certain it won't be many. Nothing is flawless, but ultrasounds done by experienced people are pretty reliable on the whole. They may not give an accurate 'headcount' but they rarely miss reliably informing if pregnant or not as a 'yes/no' answer.

Sounds sadly like she is just having a phantom....

Di
thanks di, i too think it must be phantom but remain hopeful if changes continue in next week or too i will however be retunring to vet for a second check as i need to be prepared for the arrival of pups if it does happen to occur. ie, getting whelping box ect together.
thanks for both reponses any more would also be helpful especially reports of false positive ultrasounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
_Jac_ said:
Hi, I have heard of ultra sounds being wrong, but only by word of mouth, not any one I actually know.

My bitch missed, even though she had us all convinced she was pregnant ,but ultra sounds at 4 and 5 weeks told otherwise, and it was a phantom.

I hope she is pregnant, and if not there is always next time :)

Did you pre mate or just go on how she was acting? I will pre-mate test next time.
thanks for that, what is pre mating i have to admit i am a bit of a novice at this and we are breeding purely duev to the amazing temprament of our rosie it would be wrong not to she is amazing. thanks gary

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I hate to interject here as I don't feel it's my place but I would like to ask if you've had all the health tests done? Hips, eyes etc?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts