Labradors Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My long lead snapped at Christmas (some of you will remember the full story). I hated that thing anyway, it burnt my hands and seemed quite dangerous, so I started searching the net for something better.

In the meantime, I have two of the 2m halti leads, so I secured them together with the trigger clasps of each attached to the metal hoop clips of each lead. I have been using this as a temporary measure and it works really well. The best bit is that the lead is soft and doesn't burn my hands even when I have to put the brakes on.

So now I really don't want to go back to one of those awful nylon long lines. As far as I can see halti do not make a padded long line (even partially padded would be a start). Then I had an idea. If I bought another halti lead I could clip it to the first two and I would have an instant 6m padded long line.

Do you think this idea would work? I double clip the leads to each other for extra security and they are pretty sturdy leads. (Far sturdier than the stupid long line in fact!) Cadbury is also not as severe a puller as he once was, so he doesn't bolt to the end like he once did.

So what do you reckon?

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
When I'm out in the woods or fields with Flo-my-ever-disappearing JR Terrorist I just clip all the leads I have with me together so that she is effectively 'long-lined'. Works for me, but then Flo is probably about 1/6 of the weight of your Cadbury!

Becs and The Gang

G

·
Best long line I've got I've had for years, as it was my old Lunge Line. Soft padded edged nylon, so it doesn't cut in, strong enough to hold 600+kg of horse. I knotted it at certain lengths to get 5, 10, 15 and 20 metre circles and the knots make good stoppers, so if it all goes horribly wrong the line doesn't slide through your hands for long. I used gloves when lunging the horses just in case but I've never had to with any dogs.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, I was wondering about a lunge line but have no idea where to get one. I'm not sure where they stock equine supplies around here? Anyone know of an online supplier?

I like the sound of Jules' padded line, I'm so frightened of cutting my hands with those silly dog long lines the pet shops sell!

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
No advice just wanted to agree with you that the Halti 2m leads are lovely on the hands!! I don't use Luna's headcollar at the moment (fingers being crossed and warning glances being given to the hound not to start walk misbehaving again :? ) but I LOVE and still use the leads! :D

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Definitely agree Laura. The leads are so comfy! And they wear so well. Mine has been through all sorts (including an impromptu paddle in the sea 8O ) and still looks as good as new. Best lead I have had - I just wish they did a few different colours :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts