Labradors Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Elphie for her second jab last night and the Vet weighed her. She is 6kilos and is 10 weeks old now. The Vet said she is going to be a big girl :eek: ! How the heck does he know this? Is it just a lab thing that Vets always presume they are going to be big. Does Elphie sound big? I thought it was roughly a kilo a week they put on at this stage.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Not sure if you need to be believing this - Mole was 6.8kg at 10 weeks and is now 9 months old and 22kg, so not massive by any stretch of the imagination.

I would take it with a pinch of salt. :lol:

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I can't remember what Mins weighed at that age but 6kg doesn't sound big to me at all and Mins is a teeny thing :?

I think sometimes they just like to say "something" :lol:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
coal was about 9kg at ten weeks old and he's not that big now. He's about 33kg but isn't overly large or chunky. Just lab size!

G

·
Well Rueben was 9kg at 9 weeks old and 22kg at 6 months. He's now almost 7 months and doesn't seem that huge to me, although I guess he's still got a fair bit of growing to do yet! :lol: :lol:

Our vet said the same when we took Rueben in for his first jabs, just seems to be something vets say for some reason!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

G

·
Mima said:
Ben is 12 weeks old and 11kg?? this normal?
Yep Very normal, especially for a chunky show bred pup, as they average at approx 1kg per week of age (give or take a bit either way). :wink:

G

·
oh when Ruby had her first jab we got told she was going to be a big girl. Shes grown up to be a little midget at 24kg!

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Indie's 28kg and certainly no midget, she's quite a big lass in fact 8O I have no idea what she weighed at ten weeks old, but she has never been little or dainty, although in her mind I am sure she is :wink:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm sure Eddie was around 11-12kg when we got him at 13wks, and now at 13mths he's a fantastically big, healthy, fit looker but weighs about 37kg!! He certainly does not look it as he is quite leggy, but the vet likes to 'remind' us that labs are prone to weight gain. Have told him that when I can't see Eddie's waist or slight bit of rib when stretching/running, then I'll worry. He is just perfick!! (The other vet, the good one, actually said Eddie is a fine specimen of how a lab should be - Momma was so proud!!)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Gillie was 5.2kg at 10 weeks and he has been weighed again today at 15.6kg at 19 weeks. He had been ill before we picked him up so was a little on the light side.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
At almost 10 weeks old I had Martha and 2 other puppies still here. Martha weighed 9.5kg, Isla weighed 9.85kgs and Dotty 8.2kgs. Mind you, if Martha's body ever catches up with her paws and her ears she'll be the size of a small pony :roll:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi,

Truffle was 5.5kg at 8 weeks, 11.6kg at 12 weeks, and 18kg at 18 weeks, and he's a working line lab. Everyone looks at him and says he's going to be massive, but I'm going to wait and see! The vet told me he was going to be a huge lab, but both his parents were quite small so I'm not sure I believe him.

Cat and Truffle

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Are vets obsessed with labs being overweight ?

I remember when I took Ruby for her first vacc that the vet told me she was going to be a big dog and I agree her paws were a fair size but I knew her mum was small and dad not much bigger of working lines so I felt I knew what to expect.

When I picked Ruby up after being spayed they told me she needed to go on a diet and she only weighed 28kg - which compared to the weight of other labs on here I reckon she's light !!!????
I understand that after they have been spayed they are more prone to putting on weight but they told me to reduce her food by 25%. She now has 300g of Skinners a day which seems a tiny portion for a growing dog!! However after coming across 4 other black labs whilst out for our walk today I would describe her as the slimline version !!!

Chloe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts