Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I am ready to breed from my lovely 2 year old chocolate bitch - hips scored, eyes tested, stud dog found, lots of reading up, etc, now I am just waiting for her to come into season!!

She had one season at 9 months (Jan 08) and one at 23 months (Feb 09). Can any experts please advise as to whether, in their experience, a bitch starts to have seasons closer together over time when there has been such a long period between seasons to begin with?

The stud dog owner (very experienced breeder) believes it is likely but I wondered what others though too.

Longing for puppies.....

Thank-you

?

·
0 Posts
I'm not a breeder but I have had entire bitches and in my experience their cycle changes very little (so once a 6 monther, always a 6 monther) unless other factors come into play. I had one girl who always came in every 9 months and this only changed when I had another bitch who came in every 6-7 months.....As she would start and it would bring the other bitch in a few days later.

I would imagine pregnancies could alter the pattern slightly too but as I've not trodden that path, I'll leave that side of things to others who have. :wink:

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
No advice, Helen. I am not a breeder as you know. Just wanted to say that we must meet up again one day to let Charlie, Topsy and Bracken have a blast in the fields. :D

Was it really January or February that we last went out? Time flies! I do remember it was just a day or two before Bracken's second season, which was why Charlie turned into a bit of a pest and went back on lead. :oops: He knew her season was imminent when we still couldn't see it. :roll:

I do hope you manage to have puppies. :D

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
No expert either but I've had experience with some bitches coming into season 3 times a year and some that only come in season once a year. I've never experienced that they would suddenly change but seem to settle on which ever cycle they have... That's just a part of natures little 'wonders', I guess :wink:

Natasha

·
Administrator
21,018 Posts
Anna was a 6 monther and lost the last two weeks of the shooting season right through her life until she retired! Amy is also a 6 monther and has lost the end of every season so far. I've also had 9 monthers and yearlys and all have remained pretty constant.

Regards, John

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Like the others mine all vary - Hally and her daughter Hope are both 5-1/2 month bitches - starting very young - yet Hally's other daughter is nearly 11 months with no sign of a season.

Clover had her first season at 15 months, then at 9 month intervals - but this time at 12 months.

Good luck with your puppies - in my experience, when you are ready to mate them - they never cease to surprise you (two out of the three times here being early :roll: )

Dare we ask who you are going to be using?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for advice - guess I might have to wait until February 2010 for her to come into season then :cry:

Stud dog is 'Monty' (Baileydale Beaumont) from Baileydale Labradors in Essex.

Sorry Monty, think Bracken is going to keep you waiting a while yet... :wink:

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have a golden retreiver bitch that i am going to breed from when she come's into season...

Her last season was a whole 8 and a half month's ago 8O
so god know's when she will come into season,
The vet said something about the changing weather and it being a lot more wetter meaning it's persponing her season?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts