Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I am getting a tad annoyed now with people asking "is he a real lab" "what is he" "is he a full lab"

Does he not look like a lab or something?!? People also comment on how tiny he is but hes 17 weeks now and about 15/16 kg which I don't think is small for his age? But he was playing with their enormous retriever!

don't know why its getting to me so much this week!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
He's lovely! My Lil was a while before she grew into her ears, too! Take no notice. People amaze me, they can be so rude.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Gotta love those ears :D

He looks all lab to me. It's funny how sometimes people's comments start to irritate (I had a rant recently about Poppy being compared to a hippo :roll: )

I think part of the problem with labradors is that they come in so many shapes and sizes it's hard for people to believe they're the same breed. I know one choccy lab that towers over Poppy (I swear she's on stilts) and a couple of others who are smaller than her. The black lab next door is a slim, very tall, working shape, whereas Poppy is a smaller, chunky type (she's a Dudley too, which often confuses people - they know she doesn't look quite right, but they're not sure why!). To be honest though, I took Poppy on at 14 weeks and suspect she came from a back yard breeder, so there could be any kind of mix in there!

I do seem to remember when Poppy was younger I was asked the question about whether she was a true lab a lot more, so maybe as Hudson matures he will look more like the labrador other people expect to see and they'll stop asking (if that makes sense!)

·
Super Moderator
15,716 Posts
If you look back at old threads you will see this is a very common occurance :roll: :roll: :roll:

I've had people ask if Dudley is crossed with a rottie/mastiff/staffie and if Charlie is crossed with a St Bernard 8O 8O 8O Oh and is Charlie has a bit of labrador in him!

It used to annoy me but now I smile sweetly and tell them Dudley is lab x labrador and Charlie is lab x grizzly bear!

Hudson is a real cutie :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Loopy_Lou said:
I think part of the problem with labradors is that they come in so many shapes and sizes it's hard for people to believe they're the same breed.
This.

I get asked the same - I think it's because she's young and slim.

People are too used to seeing chubby, chunky labs - a slim one can't be the same breed! :roll:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
People ask me all the time about my dogs. You aren't alone if that helps. :0)

Buster is a very deep red and people aren't used to seeing a lab of such a dark yellow so ask what breed he is. I've had "is he a vizsla or has he got some ridgeback in him? " With Roxy the usual comments are "she's lovely what is she crossed with" quite a few people ask if she has whippet in her because she runs like a rocket and is slight boned. It doesn't bother me fortunately but I can appreciate why it would. You puppy is gorgeous and healthy and that's all that matters. I wouldn't let it get to you dogs come on all shapes and sizes like us.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
He is gorgeous :D When Henry was younger a neighbour kept saying how fat he was and it was because he never had any exercise! It really upset me especially as we stuck to the 5 minute a month rule and didn't tend to street walk around our area. Maybe i should have explained but some people assume they know best and should keep their comments to themselves :roll:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, helps to hear its common! We were thinking its possibly his colour too, as he's a dark yellow but not quite red, more ginger! Looks alot lighter in the photos.

next time someone says that I may just advise them on all the different types of lab with Show / gun breeding ect :) my last lab was a wee chucky lad, but even then I knew labs came in a million shapes & sizes.

also thanks, he is very gorgeous haha!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
With our old boys Barney was tall and slim and Simpson smaller and chunky - people never thought they were the same breed so I gave up explaining in the end!

Susan and Poppy

?

·
0 Posts
"is he a real lab" "what is he" "is he a full lab"
I think it happens with all breeds. The times I get asked what my Poodles are :roll: . I even had one fella insist Twoee (the one with clipped ears) was a Bedlington Terrier. I tried to tell him she was a full sister of the Pood (who looked very Poodley at the time) but he wouldn't have it. I don't even think Bedlington Terriers come in Brown, but that didn't seem to matter. :lol: :lol:

Oh and of my Labs, Mojo is often mistaken for a Collie cross (even once by a vet), and Pickle has twice been mistaken for a Staffy. 8O 8O :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I still get asked what Willoughby's crossed with or how old the puppy is. He's 17 months so fully grown but tiny compared to most labs. I tell people he's a miniature labrador and very rare, especially bred for people with small houses. Today I told a lady he had shrunk cos he spends to much time swimming in the lake. Ask a silly question and get a sillier answer. :D
Hudson's lovely and all lab.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm about to answer "he's part kangaroo" we call Homer, Homeroo or now Roo-Roo.

Sometimes I say hg is an American lab as it sounds more exotic than a working lab.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think he's super cute!

I also get asked what breed Cooper is and if he's a mix and people react with surprise when I say that he's a lab. 'Really, a full Labrador??'.
Some people tell me he's slim or skinny, some people tell me he's going to be big. Some people tell me he's quite small, some that he has a big head.
and some think he's a girl :lol:

It used to bother me, but now I just let it go. And for that reason I refrain from making any comments on other people's dogs and just ask what breed they are, how old, what's their name, etc. But I would never comment on what they look like other than to say that they look good, etc. Just because I like to chat about dogs!

By the way, there's a lot of overweight Labs in my area!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I used to constantly get asked if Digs was crossed with a whippet :/ either that or I can see he has lab in him but what else?

Now he's grown up we don't get questioned as much as to what he is.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
My 2 are still lab puppies! Luna makes it very hard for people to believe me when I say she has horrid joint issues (and long may that last! Fingers crossed!).

I'm just pleased that no-one has suggested either is a whippet or pitball cross recently...

I guess that being small, lightweight and lively is always going to get them accused of being puppies, they like it as they get away with murder with unsuspecting folk!

·
Registered
551 Posts
lol! Pepper is a skinny lab and some people play dumb and ask what breed she is - had it in the Vet's waiting room the other day!

Your baby will grow into his ears soon and be utterly gorgeous with it (as he is now) - people and animals don't always grow at the same rate. And Pepper weighed less than Hudson at the same age - she's currently 10 months old and 23kg! So don't worry!

Hugs,

Hannah & Pepper xx

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I think he is lovely and definitely a Lab. Cass is now 17 months and is still waiting to grow into her lugs but we just love them flapping all over the place.

When our last girl, Gemma, was a puppy, one woman at a training class actually argued with me that Gemma was a Staffie. She totally refused to accept Gem was a pedigree Labrador - stupid woman!

Take no notice and just enjoy your pup.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts