Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was just wondering thoughts on this, if anyone can help me.. Iv got a new puppy.. i was scammed with him... long story. But I was sold the wrong dog. He weighs 10lbs, and I think he’s about 12 weeks. Which I know is very small if he is a lab. But just wondering if you can get small labs, or if any one knows what he could be crossed with? Thanks in advance.. I’ll attach a picture.
8EE2131D-1698-4F4D-880B-AF465C0FA73A.jpeg
135CF726-9CDB-49EF-B5C1-8AAFA1D9219A.jpeg
135CF726-9CDB-49EF-B5C1-8AAFA1D9219A.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Unfortunately you will most likely never know, the only way to tell if a pup is exactly what the breeder tells you, is to find a breeder you trust, and see all the paperwork, which they will be happy to show you. The big white patch is a bit odd, although a white medallion is allowable, I don't think you see them very often on black Labradors, although I have seen a few on chocolate/liver, and more on yellows.

Weight wise, he's very, very small, 10lbs is about 4.5kgs, and on average a pup will be between 6-8kgs when they go to new homes at 8 weeks of age, the biggest of mine was over 9kgs, so that's another niggle that would make me think he is probably not a Labrador as advertised.

The only action you can take is to report the breeder to trading standards, along with copies of the advert, and by doing that if they are found guilty of not selling pups as advertised, then hopefully it will make them think twice. But the sad reality is there are thousands of breeders out there selling pups and telling people they are whatever they want to hear, and puppy buyers do very little research, because who would be cruel enough to sell a puppy in that way. Sadly, a lot of breeders I'm afraid.

Also, just so you're aware, his claws need trimming back as they will be pushing his toes out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. Yes that’s exactly what I have been thinking. The advert was totally different to what he actually looks like, so I’m pretty sure it was a totally different dog. But as my children thought they were getting a puppy.. I felt that I had to have him. Do you think he is crossed with a lab? Or just a totally different breed? 🤔 just really would like to know what kind of temperament to expect 🙈 oh and yes, Iv been saying about his claws, he’s booked in tomo at the vets for his second vaccination, so I think they will be doing them then. As paying for puppy plan, and I think that’s included. Thanks again for the response 😊

·
Administrator
20,904 Posts
I agree with Tarimoor above, but will add, he does not really seem like 12 weeks old, I wonder a bit younger?? When you see the vet tomorrow it might be worth mentioning worming. It's difficult to see from photos, but the tummy does is the impression of carrying a worm burden. Be guided by your vet on this, worming babies needs care and there are special wormers for just that.

Labrador sizes can vary quite substantially. My Chloe is a real pocket size Labrador. The first photo was her at around a year old, out training with her brother, who her breeder kept. The second photo was take laid beside my Amy when she was around 3 years old, so you can see, she has remained small, but my word, she can cover the ground when working!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with Tarimoor above, but will add, he does not really seem like 12 weeks old, I wonder a bit younger?? When you see the vet tomorrow it might be worth mentioning worming. It's difficult to see from photos, but the tummy does is the impression of carrying a worm burden. Be guided by your vet on this, worming babies needs care and there are special wormers for just that.

Labrador sizes can vary quite substantially. My Chloe is a real pocket size Labrador. The first photo was her at around a year old, out training with her brother, who her breeder kept. The second photo was take laid beside my Amy when she was around 3 years old, so you can see, she has remained small, but my word, she can cover the ground when working!

View attachment 26480

View attachment 26481

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hiya, thank you for the response 😊 I’v seen the vet about his belly bless him , he’s had both worming tablets now, but i was going to ask the vet tomorrow if she thinks he may need some more... judging from the person I got him off.. he was not kept In very good conditions.. as everything the bloke told me about him seemed to be a lie.. I’m only thinking he’s 12 weeks judging by his teeth.. his back molars are starting to come through.. I looked it up, and it said they are usually 12 weeks when this happens. What are your thoughts on him being a cross? Or do you think he is just a totally different dog? 🙈 and no lab in him at all 🙈 lol. Thanks again 😊

·
Administrator
20,904 Posts
i was going to ask the vet tomorrow if she thinks he may need some more
I would doubt that. With a pup so small you dont want to over do it.
I’m only thinking he’s 12 weeks judging by his teeth.. his back molars are starting to come through.. I looked it up, and it said they are usually 12 weeks when this happens.
Thats correct. Adult teeth normally start to appear at around 12 week, so it's likely thats about his age.
What are your thoughts on him being a cross
He has quite a Labrador head. Whether he's full Labrador or not is impossible to say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think he wasn’t looked after very well before I had him.. so Iv wondered if he is just malnourished, and maybe that is why he’s so small. Poor thing, he was so hungry when I got him. And ate his food like someone was going to take it. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see what he grows into 🤷‍♀️ At least he’s in good hands now. And will be loved whatever he is. Thank you for your help and advise! 😊 it’s much appreciated 😊

·
Administrator
20,904 Posts
I think he wasn’t looked after very well before I had him.. so Iv wondered if he is just malnourished,
It might not seem it now, but the breeder "May" have done him a favour. There was a study a while back where some Labradors were divided into three groups, the first slightly over fed, the second what was commonly though correctly fed, and the third under fed. The under fed developed slower, but had significantly better hips, due to the lower weight they were called upon to carry during the formative period! I always keep my pups a little on the light side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh ok, that’s good to know! He’s put on a fair bit of weight since I’v had him.. you could get your fingers basically under his ribs when he first came to me. Just glad he’s happy now. 😊

1 - 11 of 11 Posts