Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i was wondering whether anyone could help us! We have a nine month old rescue choc lab (we think!) but recently people have been asking us whether he is a pure lab or a cross. He has the colouration and build of a lab, dopy temperament but his facial structure is not typical. He has a broader snout, wider jaw and a valley between his eyes.

We aren't bothered for our sake, but would like ot be able to give a firm answer when asked. How can we establish if he is a full lab or not? We include some pictures for you all to debate over! Many thanks!

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Oh yes... he's a lab! ;)

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Just to go against the grain (!) my friend has a RottiexLab who looks similar to your boy, but the body is very Rottie-like. Do you have a standing photo?

Becs and The Gang

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Definitely all Lab :)

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Sorry but I agree with Becs, we need more pics, and yes a standing (side-on if possible) shot would be really helpful.

To me, the head shape looks different to most labs I have seen, and the legs in the "laying down" shot look very short.

There is a huge variance in the size & shape & bone structure of labs, so they really do come in all shapes & sizes, but I'd like to see more pics of your boy to help you work it out.

G

·
Becs said:
Just to go against the grain (!) my friend has a RottiexLab who looks similar to your boy, but the body is very Rottie-like. Do you have a standing photo?
The only thing I would have said was a possible cross to get a head that wide was with a Rottie.....But I don't think it is genetically possible to get a Rottie cross that is chocolate brown, as Rotties only come in black. :?

If he was a cross of any kind it would have to be with something that at least has brown in the genes somewhere (Dalmatian, Doberman, Spaniel, Poodle 8O) and he just doesn't seem to resemble any of those.

G

·
Not the best of photos but look at the width of Elsie's head, the chunkiness of her body and the thick, short legs. She looks like a female version of him and she is definitely all Lab. :wink:

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
From what I remember of Sarah`s Baxter (Blondie1) he has a very broad head not disimilar to your boy, I go with the majority that he is all lab although without a copy of his pedigree you`ll never know for sure I`m afraid.

·
Premium Member
15,716 Posts
He looks all lab to me.

Both mine have got very broad heads and they're both full labs. Although a side shot would be good to see

1 - 20 of 41 Posts