Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Rueben for his walk much later than usual today as its been so hot here. We normally go mid afternoon so there's not many people about as Rueben does have a tendency to get a tad over excited when we see another dog :oops: (We're working on that!)

Anyway, this evening I took Rueben to our usual spot and let him off for a hooly. He spotted another dog in the distance and he was off. I called him but he paid no attention :roll: and proceeded to mount the other dog! Next thing I know there's a man shouting and screaming at me " get him off, get him off, she's in season!!!" I did my best angry mummy voice and called Rueben and he came straight back. This man proceeded to tell me what an irresponsible dog owner I am for letting an entire male off the lead! He said I'm clearly a first time dog owner (which I am) otherwise I would have known that I should keep him on the lead all the time when we're out.

I'm so upset :cry: I took my new camera with me tonight as it was such a lovely evening but just turned around and came home. It's really knocked my confidence with letting Rueben off lead :(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the posts I've read on here do dog owners not keep their bitches in when in season? I'm more than happy to be put right on this as I know nothing about it. Just didn't think I was doing anything wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NO!

He is the irresponsible dog owner taking his in season bitch out!!!

Ruben has the right to go off lead and enjoy himself, good on him for coming back even with a tasty smelling girl around!

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
That man would've got a piece of my mind. He's the one in the wrong, not you.

Some bitch owners give us responsible ones a bad name.

I did take Bracken out when she was in season, but only in the first few days and again at the very end - and I walked her in the quietest most non-doggy areas I could find, and kept her on her lead.

What a horrid, ignorant, selfish man :evil:

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
8O I think the man has a b****y cheek to tell you that.

As far as I am concerned it is him who is in the wrong for walking an 'in season' dog. Why should Reuben suffer and be kept on lead just cos he's still got his little boy bits? :twisted:

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
He was in the wrong! I bought a bitch knowing to keep her fenced off and away from males when in season.

Rueben can run free all he likes!!! imo! Don't feel bad! He made the mistake and probably realised so yelled at u!

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Thats awfull!! I would have expected a responsible owner would keep his in-season bitch in, out of the way of any suitors!! 8O I thought that was what we are ALL told!! :eek:

Hope Reuben was not too distressed :)

Marianne

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
You've not done anything wrong at all :flower:

I didn't take Minnie-Moo out at all when she was in season and if I had, I'd have made sure it was somewhere where we were extremely unlikely to encounter off-lead dogs - say a road walk.

I wouldn't take her anywhere where people let dogs off lead - others do, I've met a few doing it round here who have looked worried about my dogs as we approach. I don't think it's worth the risk, for the poor bitch as much as anything else. Something this man found out today :roll:

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
No you did nothing wrong Anita, stupid bleedy man taking an in-season bitch out to a public park :x Well done to you for Reuben having such good recall though :D

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Absoballylutely not!

It's is most definately not irresponsible to walk entire boys offlead. Dyl is entire and has at least an hour offlead on the cliff paths and national trust fields every day. I am SO flippin angry at that stupid man for having a go at you when it was him who is irresponsible for having his bitch out in season somewhere where he was likely to meet other dogs.

Have a hug because I know how upsetting it is even when you're not the one in the wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Phew!!

I really though I was in the wrong there so thanks for reassuring me!!

Have to say though was VERY impressed at Ruebens recall, I never knew he had it in him!!

We'll be off out again tomorrow so he can hooly to his hearts content!!

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
As a bitch owner I would say the man is the irresponsible one. I never took Wix to public places when is was in season, (I wouldn't have totally kept her in for the 4-6 weeks where she smelled good to dogs, it is far to long for her to have no excersise).

We went places where I knew were rarely used. It's not just entire boys that get excited by the smell, ones who've been snipped can get excited and give their owners the slip too. Not such bad consequences for the bitch obviously, but an inconvience for the dog owners who's boy is just doing what comes naturally. It's much easier for me to keep her away than too expect the rest of the dog owning community to keep their dogs away from her.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Silly Man

We had the same thing when Brodie was younger ( about 8 months)and entire.

We was minding our own business and all of a sudden Brodie took off and all the calling wouldnt fetch him back, he had run to another lab up the beach, when i got there they was waving a stick at brodie and screaming at me that htere dog was in season!!

At first i was apoligetic then he started to get shirty saying brodie was out of control. Well i soon told him how stupid he was to bring a bitch out in season and not to expect male dogs not to react

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr dont start me on this one!!

I have 2 entire males and I've lost time of the number bitches we've met being walked in season!!

You did nothing wrong at all :)

I can feel my blood boiling at this stupid man!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did Rueben actually "enter" the bitch, even if they didn't Tie, as if he did, I'd be off after the guy to give him a Stud Fee Bill. :evil:

You are NOT in the wrong, he was!

I've had bitches all my life, so am fully aware of when and where I should and shouldn't walk them. Unfortuately a lot of other people are either ignorant or just plain stupid and walk their in season bitches wherever they like and expect the rest of the world to revolve around their stupid, selfish notions.

Don't feel bad, let Rueben off lead and if you see the Guy again, give him a piece of your mind.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Disgusting - and sorry you had such a rough ride :(

Some responsible bitch owners DO take their girls out in season - but ON LEAD and in areas and at times when the likelihood of other dogs being around is minimal.

I really am quite shocked and saddened by the apparent number of pig ignorant and stupid bitch owners around :(

Chin up and if it happens again - tell them THEY are the irresponsible ones - take no notice - idiots

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My OH has just come home to find me in floods of tears about this!

He said "take me back there and I'll show him what an entire male can do!"

So now I have to calm myself, Rueben, my son and my OH!!! :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, thanks to everyone. I won't feel bad at all when I take him out tomorrow!!

·
Administrator
21,501 Posts
Everyone is responsible for their own dog. You are not responsible for his dog and if he is stupid enough to take an in season bitch out then what happens is strictly down to him, not you.

Does he honestly believe that no male should ever go off lead until castrated? What about stud dogs who will not be castrated until a very old age, are they to never go off lead because some moron might take an in season bitch out??

Crazy!

If I take my bitches out when in season it's never at the peak time and only a walk on lead around somewhere like the local industrial estate where no dogs would ever be off lead.

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Luna was exercised in the garden many times a day and was only in the garden if I was present incase the passing of male dogs on the footpath adjacent to garden caused problems. We also made used of a fenced in sports pitch in a park at a time no-one else went so that at least she got a little variety of scenery but I could see dogs coming if they did and explain why their dog shouldn't join us. A couple of very late night brief sniffy walks on leash too.

Dry the tears and celebrate being able to recall Rueben from an in season bitch!!!!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
_anita_ said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the posts I've read on here do dog owners not keep their bitches in when in season?
Responsible owners keep them in. Don't give him another thought.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Definately NOT you who`s the irresponsible one, tell the idiot that if you see him again!, a responsible bitch owner doesn`t take her for walks in season, specially in a popular dog walking area where there could be a fair number of entire dogs quite happy to accept it offered on a plate 8O

I`ll be very surprised if your the only owner to have been haranged by him if he walks her regularly, hopefully a few more will put him right on who`s in the wrong.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts