Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I hope someone can help. My partner wants to give our 3 month old puppy goats milk after each meal (50g). Is this okay? I know its easier to digest than cows milk but should we just give him goats milk now and again as a treat?

We have given him puppy milk which is loves too but should that be a treat now and again? Can we give him 50g puppy milk after each meal instead?

Want to do the right thing but am confused. Otherwise he loves his main puppy food (James Wellbeloved Puppy Food)

Thanks
Claire

·
Registered
708 Posts
Im going to bump this for you. Someone will be alongto help i'm sure.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi Claire,

Years ago, it was popular to give milk to pups. But nowadays we do not recommend it.

Three month old puppies do not need milk of any description. Whether you are feeding complete puppy kibble, or raw food. At three months your puppy is entirely weaned and will not benefit from milk.

Pippa

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Raw goats milk is brilliant for all dogs and puppies....My three adult dogs have some every night before bed. Its full of goodness and ultra easy to digest.

My three are on BARF (bones and raw food diet) and the goats milk isn't essential but I think its a good healthy natural treat for them to have before bed as I don't like giving them any processed treats :wink:

Wouldn't bother with the puppy milk though!

·
Registered
540 Posts
The breeder of our wcs gave us some "puppy milk", and when I looked at it, it is actually goats milk based, if it is the same one. Things like this are a matter of personal choice once you have established it ia good/won't harm your pup.
Am sure your pup won't be complaining any time soon :wink: :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Alfie generally has goats milk with his breakfast , we have given it to him since he was about 10 weeks old now as he had a very bad diarrhoea for a month when we first got him and read how good it is for digestion etc . He loves it and is now 7 months and doing really well ! :D

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Goats milk is a good treat, probably not after every meal.

I do think slow introduction of things like this helps 'harden' a pups tummy v's pups that are only ever fed one brand of kibble who then get upset tums very easily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for your responses.

We have decided to give our puppy the goats milk now and again as a treat rather than after every meal.

In reply to Paws: Yes, we do give him free access to a water bowl and yes, the goats milk was only ever going to be an extra.

Thanks again. I have found these boards really useful

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are interested in excellent canine nutrition, please read Jean Dodd`s "Canine Nutrogenics" which explains why dogs do greatly benefit from a daily dose of goats milk, yoghurt or cheese (all goats) and why dog owners are not educated enough about canine nutrition due to bad advice by poorly informed Vet`s. This is a science based book based on a dog`s genomes and explains why it is ultra important to make sure our canine babies are given the 10 amino acids in an unbroken chain that they cannot make themselves.

·
Administrator
20,911 Posts
why dog owners are not educated enough about canine nutrition due to bad advice by poorly informed Vet`s
Don't over complicate the subject casper&jake93. Dogs lived (and in some countries still do live) for hundreds of years in the wild without reading books on canine nutrition, eating what they find. This is a whole new subject which never existed when I started in dogs. In fact, at a result of food rationing here in the UK following WW2 there was little available in the way of dog food and my first dog lived almost exclusively on a diet of table scraps. The proof of success of his diet is that after all this time he grew to be the oldest dog I ever owned!

Dogs are very much like us in that yes, they need a balanced diet, but like us, that balance is a long term thing. Not every meal needs to be balanced, rather it should balance out in time.

Contra to popular belief, dogs do not need the same food every meal. This is a myth put about by the pet food industry in order to gain a captive market. But if a dog is not subjected to a varied diet it's stomach will adapt to what it gets, and changing WILL give it a gippy tummy. My dogs get everything from Spag Bol and Chinese Sweet & Sour Chicken to dog food.

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
I'm with John (John W) on this 😀
A little bit of human food to make their digestion acceptable to bits of stuff found on walks!! 😱
Our vet said, many years ago - - - Wouldn't you get bored with eating the same food everyday????

Don't do goats milk or goats cheese so this is one of the few things my dogs have never tried 😏

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

·
Administrator
20,911 Posts
When it comes to goats milk, in moderation it does no harm. When my friend's Flatcoat gave birth to a litter she tried to get some goat's milk but could not find a source locally, so used sheep's milk.

Some years ago my sister kept goats and her boys were brought up with goats milk on their cornflakes! Below is one of my sister's kids, held by my mother, who sadly died around 4 years ago. I'd guess the photo was taken in the mid 1970's

Regards, John

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
I make kefir for my dog, as per Vet. He is on a kibble diet so missing some probiotics he used to get from raw foods. The kefir should help replenish some probiotics. I wish I could find raw, goat milk to make it from but I haven't been able to. So I use grocery store whole cows milk. It's a bit of a commitment time wise, only in that I need to do it every day, not that it takes a long time. We share a bit before bed. Surprisingly, since he didn't like commercial yogurt, he does like kefir.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are interested in excellent canine nutrition, please read Jean Dodd`s "Canine Nutrogenics" which explains why dogs do greatly benefit from a daily dose of goats milk, yoghurt or cheese (all goats) and why dog owners are not educated enough about canine nutrition due to bad advice by poorly informed Vet`s. This is a science based book based on a dog`s genomes and explains why it is ultra important to make sure our canine babies are given the 10 amino acids in an unbroken chain that they cannot make themselves.
Raw goats milk is brilliant for all dogs and puppies....My three adult dogs have some every night before bed. Its full of goodness and ultra easy to digest.

My three are on BARF (bones and raw food diet) and the goats milk isn't essential but I think its a good healthy natural treat for them to have before bed as I don't like giving them any processed treats 😉

My three are on BARF (bones and raw food diet) and the goats milk isn't essential but I think its a good healthy natural treat for them to have before bed as I don't like giving them any processed treats 😉

I have a mini aussie shepherd and I also give him goats milk in his puppy food and he loves it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts