Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I'm a new lab owner and have a 5 month old puppy. When I got him I read lots about potential health issues, particularly hip dysplasia (which now has me super paranoid!!)

He is really bouncy and always hurtling around, and never shows any signs of pain. However he sits really lazily (with his hips flopping out), and I can count on one hand the amount of times I have seen him lie down with his legs under him. They are either stretched out behind him, or out to one side. When he gets up from a sit he sort of stretches his nose out almost to give him a bit of momentum.

It might sound silly, but I am just hoping to find out if this is normal for a 5 month old lab?!

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Yes, sounds normal, it's a lazy puppy sit. It's no indication as far as I know of poor hips, if his parents and grandparents etc have good hip scores and there's a low estimated breeding value for the litter for hips and elbows, that's the best 'chance' really of ensuring good joints, but there is, unfortunately, no absolute guarantee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Tarimoor, that's reassuring. His parents had good scores but I remember reading that this doesn't necessarily mean that he wouldn't have problems. I want to enjoy his puppyhood and not spend every waking moment paranoid about it!

·
Administrator
20,488 Posts
I want to enjoy his puppyhood and not spend every waking moment paranoid about it!
I think we all feel a little like this. And the trouble is, the more we read on the net the more worried we get because there is always some "Expert" forecasting gloom and doom!

Lazy sits are a Labrador thing, and prove absolutely nothing. It was the bane of my life when I used to work competitive obedience, because it was a mark lost every time it happened! Laying with the hind legs straight out behind was said by some as a sign of poor hips, but think about this. If the dog had poor hips would he lay in a position virtually guaranteed to give him pain? All of my Labs have laid like this, and all have had good scores!

I well remember my Anna. I took every care of her as a puppy, bringing her along slowly. As it got near to the time when I was going to put all the training to work I had just two things left to do, introduce her to gunfire and to jumping. I saw a nice post and rail fence, so I sent her for a retrieve over it. Fine! So I thought I'd do one simple retrieve in the field before going home. Sat her up, tossed the dummy out, sent her, AND SHE WAS LIMPING!!!! I was sure I'd broken her. Ok, the limp disappeared as we walked back to the car, but I did no more jumping until I had her hip score back. 2/2 as near perfect as makes no difference. So why the limp? Don't know, but it could have been anything down to the stupid standing on a thistle! We will never know. But it just shows, I've had dogs since 1955, and I'm just as capable of panicking as the next man! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JohnW - Thank you very much for this, that does offer some reassurance. I try to be as careful as possible about making sure he doesn't jump on and off things/over exercising etc but he is a lunatic and frequently does zoomies around the ground floor of the house and garden at full tilt which can include racing along the sofa and jumping off! If i'm quick enough I can herd him into the garden which is safer but sometimes he catches me unawares! So naturally i'm very paranoid about him damaging himself.

I think it doesn't help that I had an elderly pointer with hip problems and he never sat like that until the hip problems surfaced, so that definitely adds to the paranoia. He also used to stick his nose out and sort of use his weight forward to get up from a sit, just like my pup does, so. I promised myself I wouldn't be a paranoid puppy parent but here I am!

·
Administrator
20,488 Posts
My Chloe has a problem in that she cant walk! Everything she does is at 200mph. I like to think it's a pointer to good hips, that she would not rush around like a lunatic if she had problems. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Chloe has a problem in that she cant walk! Everything she does is at 200mph. I like to think it's a pointer to good hips, that she would not rush around like a lunatic if she had problems. ;)
Haha, perhaps I should start looking at it like that! Before I drive myself crazy!

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
With Juice, I had puppy proofed the house!! I'd had lab pups before but not like "Monster Energy Juice"!!! I expected her to include walls and ceiling in the zoomies!!! In amongst all this I had "world experts" (NOT on LF) saying all she needed was a good run or 20 mile walk!!
In time, you and your pup will find a mutual love and respect. Lab pups are little "shites" just trying to make wonderful memories for you both - - It's their JOB 😀 ❤

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
Love his dark eyes and black nose ❤
Dogs have more animal sense than humans, they wake up and stretch out, even into their twilight years. Humans do gradually stop doing this. Way back in the 80's, I did serious/fun training at a gym and I could do that frog leg look like labs. I'm only a human and didn't keep doing it.

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
My current pup is a complete lunatic, she reminds me a lot of her grandma, who, as a youngster, used to treat the front room like her own personal wall of death, and had me in tears on more than one occasion. I had her hips scored as I had planned to breed, thinking the worse with all the jumping up and off things she'd done as a pup, and she came back with 0/0 hips and 0 elbows. There's no way I could have known prior to having her done that she didn't have the potential to develop any problems, but it certainly shows to go that if a dog has good hips and elbows then they really would have to go some to do any damage that would show up. This is Tau, taken last year, I have her daughter and granddaughter now, both of whom are incredibly fit, as she has been. She's now 13.5 and slowing down a bit!

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
Hi Joanne ((Tarimoor)
I've always watched Tau pics from a puppy (special girlie) and followed her life, mating, pups and everything 😍
She still has that "It wasn't Me, Mom" look!!! ❤

Take Care and Stay Safe
Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Hi Joanne ((Tarimoor)
I've always watched Tau pics from a puppy (special girlie) and followed her life, mating, pups and everything 😍
She still has that "It wasn't Me, Mom" look!!! ❤

Take Care and Stay Safe
Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾
She is certainly a special girl, she usually spends her evenings these days upside down on the sofa, she's only just turned the right way up.

It's lovely actually, the lady who bred Indie and Tau, lost her lines a few years ago due to personal circumstances, and I got in touch with them to let them know that Zasa had had a litter, since she's a Tau daughter, and they have ended up having one of the pups. So they now have a great granddaughter to their bitch, Maddie, Tau's mum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts