Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
harvey is 16 weeks old and has been on 525g of arden grange three times a day but un like my previous two labs he takes ages on his dinner he will go back and forward to it he will eventually eat it but the other morning i put it down went to wprk came back 3 hours later he hadnt eaten it ,went for a walk then he eat it left him his 2nd portion and went back to work wife gets in 3 hours later and it was eaten ,he is avery slow eater which cant be a bad thing , i have tried to moisten it do you think i should maybe spice it up a little with chappie or something?
earlier i said 525g that is split 3 ways)
ps he loves carrots havent given him a full one yet is he too young?

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I had always wondered about dry food being boring, as my parents always fed theirs tinned dog food with mixer biscuit, but Corbie has Autarky Puppy complete dry food which he loves - never leaves a crumb of it! Hopefully it will continue that way and when he's old enough he'll enjoy the adult version just as much. :D

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Dried Food

Hi there

We feed Smudge on Bakers Complete Puppy and we too have noticed that he seems to be a little slow eating it these days.

However, we have put this down to him being more interested in other things like playing with his toys and us! He does eat it all up in the end so I've tried not to be too concerned. I have also noticed that he brings it in to the living room in stages but again I'm sure he just doesn't want to be too far away from us!

The only other thing that we've given Smudge intentionally (by which I mean that he hasn't nicked off someone's plate or the table!) is porridge which he loved!

I remember we used to feed our family dog Chappie - doesn't it just smell gorgeous?! lol!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I get the impression that Harvey finds his kibble dull fare lately. Today he seemed uninterested in his lunch yet when i put some left over gravy on it he wolfed it down

This is the first time I have fed dry food completely, in the past my dogs always had tin food with mixer biscuits as was the norm in those days.

Harvey is doing so well on his JWB I wouldnt change right now, but may reconsider when he is older

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi. We feed Alfie Pedigree Chum complete dried puppy food and he eats the whole bowl in minutes without stopping! When he first came home we fed the breeders recommendation, which was a mixture of dried and canned food. But this gave him the "squirts" so we gradually cut back on the canned and increased the dried accordingly. We add a little water to the food though.

Must be ok 'cos he's growing rapidly :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think Schuey finds his food a bit boring. I give him a dried food but always add water (hot water on cold mornings). I now add some bisto to give it a bit of a better smell. I tried giving him the food without water and the result wasn't much better.

I think the problem might be that in the past we have added bits of meat (if we get a doggy bag from a restaurant) or if Aoife has made an Irish stew i would put some on top of his food. Now if there is nothing interesting in the food he turns his nose up at it but will eventually eat most of it.

Cheers,
Mick

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, we used to have terrible trouble with Charlie when he was smaller )he is 9 months old now).

When we 1st got him he was on Tesco complete food but after a few days he developed an upset tummy so after a trip to the vets he started eating Hills Science plan which was fine for the 1st few weeks then he started to get an upset stomach and nothing fixed it at all - we tried many foods (all dry ones) and he had various tests done on his stool samples (nice!!) anyway - I posted a question on this website and someone told me to give him Chappie - that was 3 months ago and he still loves the stuff!!

It not only sorted his tummy troubles out but within a few minutes of his food being down its gone - we always mix it with biscuit and sometimes a spoonful of Butchers Tripe (because he is spoilt!!)

I know that everyone swears by dry complete foods for dogs but Charlie thrives on the tinned food - his coat is very shiny and he is the perfect weight for a lab, and he enjoys his meals - everyone wins!!! :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feed Cookie on Hills dry food, she seems fairly happy on this although i sometimes add some gravy for some moisture,as I think she gets bored sometimes. My dad swears by tinned food with some mixer,

·
Registered
19 Posts
I feed Angus Baker's complete but am changing it to Autarky after reading some of the stuff on this site about it. He is a great eater & always finished his bowl. Ever since he came home though I have only let him have his food bowl for 15-20 mins, cutting it down to 10 now. If he hasn't finished his food in that time he has to wait till the next meal time. I've been told this is the best way to discourage fussy eating & it seems to be working. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Schuey has his food for 20 mins and then it's gone, I'm going to try and bring it down to 15 mins.

Is dog food from a tin full of salt? And it doesn't help to clean teeth and gums.

Cheers,
Mick

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
i have always fed my labs on dry food its helps keep there teeth that lil bit cleaner i found.. (we feed our king charles on tinned food and his teeth have plaque) also these days there is so much choice on flavours out there that when i feel my dogs are getting bored i change the flavour or like a few ppl have said just make up some gravy and add a little:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
When we got Barney he was fed on Beta puppy dried and he had no problems with that apart from wind! :roll:

We changed him to Hills Natures Best because we found that if he had anything out of the ordinary (different dog treats) that it would upset his stomach so we thought that by putting him on that, it should be a well balanced diet for him. He loves it. His food lasts about 4 minutes maximum - as it has always - and we give him no "human" food except for the odd piece of raw carrot. We know too many people who start off giving their dogs the odd tit-bits and it gradually gets to the point that you cannot eat anything without the dog sitting in front of you drooling that we decided to be really strict with Barney. It has paid off. You can actualy sit on the floor with food on a plate on your lap or the floor and he is not interested at the slightest. We think he's a really good boy for that. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Gordon - I agree with you never give your dog any human food or they will pester you all the time. We made this mistake with our last dog and do not intend to repeat it with Mitzie! She also finds dried food very boring so we mix it with chappie just a very small amount and she loves it. Dried food is very much more economical .She is 6 months old and has never ever had an upset tummy! :eek: How unusal is that!!!! She was sick once but she didn't get the runs with it. I am touching wood as i type. Chocky

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Gordon said:
You can actualy sit on the floor with food on a plate on your lap or the floor and he is not interested at the slightest. We think he's a really good boy for that. :)
Hi there

Barney is a really good boy for that! You have done well on this and I am quite jealous! lol!

We have never given Smudge anything from our plates whilst we are eating but at Christmas we took him down to my parents and my mum gave him something that she was eating. The day after that he leapt up on my knee and nicked my croissant! I still have the scar on my left leg to prove it! And now she tells everyone how he's always nicking food! Hmph!

He sits right by us whilst we eat but we don't give in and we're hoping it will pay off eventually. Like most people now, we eat our dinner in front of the TV (well, dinner time does coincide with Emmerdale!!!) so we've started to sit on different sofas to each other so Smudge is kind of in the middle on the floor and can't decide who to go to! He gives up a bit then!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi, I give Poppy the BARF diet, but when we go away I get Naturediet. There are no additives, it is as convenient as any tin or dried food, it is complete, there are puppy and Lite versions and they come in a variety of flavours. It is a vacuum packed moist food, quite easily available from pet shops, and most dogs seem to love it.

Rosie

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi there...

Frodo is on Royal cannin Maxi jr....I feed him 4 times a total of 450-500gms....but i do have to "SOAK" his food in warm water... he does not eat it dry...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rufus started to turn his nose up as Pedigree chum complete until i mixed some puppy meat in with it. Now he licks his plate clean!.

I have noticed that now he is getting older he isn't eating as quickly and actually tasting his food! :lol:

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi everyone,

My dog Ben has pro plan puppy (large breed) and he loves it, mind you he eats anything!We always had problems with our last dog as she was so fussy she would not eat anything except winalot meat (canned) if you put one biscuit in you could guarantee all the meat would be gone and the one biscuit would be licked clean and in the bottom of the bowl :lol: So ben has always had dry complete food (he knows no different).

Cristina & Ben

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all
We settled 5 month old Alfie on dried food but to be honest whatever brand we tried just gave him the squirts. He's a enthusiastic eater and gobbles down everything on his plate without stopping, but his poos were consistently runny, sometimes with muceous and/or with small patches of blood. :(

I experienced the same with our golden retriever many years ago, and the cure was to swap the food for something bland. So I thought why not try this with Alfie?

24 hours after changing his diet to the constituted meat in a roll (can't remember what its called - Chubb maybe?) mixed with Chum Mixer, his bowel action has changed completely. We are now one week into the change of diet and his movements are completely normal. And judging by the way his tail wags whilst he's eating, he adores his new food!

We're taking him to the vet next week to be weighed and to be checked over, at which time we'll ask about any vitamin supplements that may (or may not) be necessary.

An added bonus is that his nightime toilet behaviour has also improved, and we're awaking to find less mess on the kitchen floor. :p

LabbyDaddy

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Still looking for the perfect food for dylan have tried practically everything as he has such an sensetive digestion so if the food doe'snt make him crazy it gives him the runs,we have just been to the rspca kennels with a load of food and treats that dylan cant eat and while there we had a look to see if they had any little lab girls for dylan to play with no luck but todd had been dropped off about an hour before,he was a really good looking golden retreiver,2 years old with a tail that never stopped,very small and undernourished,they told us his owners had to move and they were moving in with the daughter and she said (the daughter) todd didnt like other dogs,well it didnt look like that to us as he was quite happy with the boxer on one side and the young rottie on the other,how can people do that ?its really upset me and although i want a little girl to play with dylan, todd is something to think about,but like ian said dont let my heart rule my head,Lynne.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts