Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

i joined here a few days ago, we have had button for 8 weeks today, she is now 16 weeks. when we got her at 8 weeks she was the smallest of the litter, although to be honest they were all small anyhow, so its not like they were all completely massive! she weighed 2.7kg at 9 weeks, 3.5kg at 10 weeks, 5kg at 12 weeks and then the other day at 15 weeks she was just over 8 kgs. she has been weighed 2 of those times at the vets and they never mentioned her smallness, so i am sure that she is just a small puppy. i just sometimes get myself really paranoid that she should be bigger than what she is, i suppose its like having a baby, people say things about theirs and you start to compare???
has anyone else had a small puppy and felt the same????
she eats all her food, and has boundless energy-sometimes a bit too much!! and is happy in herself, sleeps well etc so i know really that there prob isn t a problem, but sometimes need reassaurance, does that sound daft??

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
awwww I love the name Button.

There have been many threads from people who are worried about their pups sizes, some asking if theirs are too small and some if theirs are too heavy.

Your Button is gaining weight beautifully from what you have said and is acting like a pup who is happy and thriving. As your vet never mentioned it doesnt sound like they are concerned.

I would try not to worry too much and just enjoy your puppy!.

:)

Tracey
x

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks tracey...i think that is sometimes my problem i read too much !! when you read about what your puppy should 'be like' you start to feel a little paranoid!

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
As Tracey said, if she is health and happy and the vet is not concerned then I would not worry at all. Jana was a teeny pupy and is on the go 24/7, Macy is a really chunky monkey and Cori is inbetwen. You will be able to tell by how active she is by how much she is eating etc

Enjoy her :D

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
awww, I think we all do that, its like when you have babies too, oo mine was doing this and 3 months and that at 5 months, you start to think oh why isnt mine, is there a problem?.

There are some good threads which show how each lab varies in weight according to their build etc.

Dont forget to keep posting photos will you :wink:

Tracey
x

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
iwill try and get some photos on today.....jus got to work out how!!! i have put a few on the facebook group if anyone is on there??

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
mistymoore said:
iwill try and get some photos on today.....jus got to work out how!!! i have put a few on the facebook group if anyone is on there??
ooo off to take a peek then!!!

Tracey
x

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello!

Dont worry yourself, I worried myself silly about Ruby as she was small when we got her. She's from a working line so she's small anyway, it will probably be the same for Button (super name!).

And sometimes you wont believe your eyes as you'll get up one day and see a growth spurt! Honestly, thats what happened with Ruby and I swore it was a different dog!

She'll be fine no matter, dont worry!

Jemma

ps. what is the facebook group?? i've got some pics of ruby to share!

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
We`d need to see pics to really know but Button sounds like she`s coming along nicely to me from your description of her weight gain :D

As you say I guess its similar with kids, I know my friend tries not to think what her daughter is doing against what other toddlers of the same age are.

Button sounds a gorgeous little girl and remember good things come in small packages :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi the facebook group is labrador forum buddies, i just joined the other day, as spend my life on facebook....sad i know ! :roll:

thanks for adding me as a friend Tracey :D

glad i am not the only one worrying silly about things, feel stupid sometimes, button is my first dog since i was about 4, kind of grew up not being a dog fan particularly......so am adjusting well to having a puppy in the house...been 8 weeks and all is going ok, my husband who is such a dog fan has turned into Caeser Millan the dog whisperer!!! , he is loving it and so are the kids....i am getting there, and have to be honest and say i am enjoying it a lot more than i thought i would, button seems to win people around!! - oh apart from when i went downstairs this morning and she bolted and launched at me from across the room in excitement....although those sharp teeth were too playful for me! :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know the feeling, Ruby is my first dog too and also my first puppy!!! I can honestly say I went into it blind and everyday is a learning curve. Sometimes its enjoyable and sometimes not so! But I wouldnt change her for the world. Its magic how they just fit right into your home and you can imagine them not being there. I get really panicky and overprotected when my family wants to take her out for a walk and I'm not there!!!

its easy to worry yourself over them - they're like babies and cant tell you whats wrong! But gradually you'll learn your pup's ways and you'll know when there really is something to worry about.

Thanks for the group...
Enjoy! xx

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it is amazing how much your life does change...its like having a baby all over again, i remember the 1st couple of days if i had to pop out for a bit, i felt so bad leaving her at home...almost as if i wasnt allowed!!

she has fitted in really well.....last couple of days she has been a bit of a terror though, very nippy and chewing everything....i am thinking it may be her teeth starting to cause problems , she is 16 wks now so they should be thinking about coming out soon????

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
we never saw any of Jacks baby teeth, guess he just ate them like he does everything else :roll:

Have been so very lucky with Jack as he doesnt seem to like biting us or the house!!!!!!

Tracey
x

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Trudy, do you have them in a photobucket account?.

If you do, just copy the IMG link, theres 4 to choose from, choose the one that starts .................... then paste it into a reply box in here.

If you dont have photobucket, err then the above will be of no help to you whatsoever!!!!!!

Tracey
x

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
piccies!

havent got photobucket...may look into it ... in the meantime i have made the pic size smaller as it was saying file to big b4...lets see if it works !

these photos are of when we went to witterings beach today..1st time, button was so not impressed with the sea..she ran in once then straight back out...was very funny!!

photos not great as she would not sit still and also the sun was in her eyes so badly she could nt pose properly !! lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts