Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a couple of weeks I'll be fetching my first Lab pup :)

The breeder has given him some shots (he'll explain when I go) but I know I need to keep the doggo away from other dogs or their waste until the full vaccine cycle is over.

But if this is true, isn't it dangerous to bring him to have his shots at the Vet studio? Who know what dogs/cats have been there in the waiting room before you went in ...

Thank for clearing up the confusion.

·
Administrator
20,904 Posts
I take pup in my car, carry her in when she is called, stand her on a table which has been sanitised then carry her back to my car afterwards. But then, I date from the time before dogs were routinely vaccinated so I tend to be less bothered about the risks than most people. My first dog, in 1955, in common with all dogs at that time was never vaccinated, and interestingly I personally never saw a single case of Distemper.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did own a little German Sheperd back in the early 70s that caught distemper. I vividly remember feeding her spoonfuls of stuff and her teeth getting stained orangeish by the antibiotic the vet prescribed. She did make it luckily, but it had mother us kids very worried. :)
Probably will call up the Vet to get an appointment and see what he recommends (probably he'll shake his head and think "just bring the doggo in and relax" :)
Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
You need to check if your vet stocks the same brand of vaccine that the breeder has used, and discuss with them if they don't the options. The problem with giving first vaccinations to pups before about 10 weeks of age is that sometimes they're not effective, because the immunity they get from mum cancels them out. This is why some breeders don't now vaccinate and advise new owners to start vaccinations from about 10 weeks onwards. I carry my pups out and about to let them see the world, so they are getting used to everyday sights and sounds.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Very informative. So it's reasonable to take them out even before they complete their vaccines just minding not to get them in direct contact with other dogs?
I do have a little fenced garden for the first weeks if needed to let him have some outdoors time but of course walking around would be a lot more interesting for him :)

·
Premium Member
8,866 Posts
Don’t worry about taking your pup to the vets, just carry it.

I have taken pups out after first vaccinations (breeders here have to vaccinate and chip before pups can go to new homes). Go to areas where there’s likely to be little dog traffic, for me my local out of town shopping mall is ideal, grassy areas, concrete, people, seats. Avoid parks and grassy areas in normal public spaces.

Reactions: rjalex

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same here in Italy. The pup will have a microchip tied to my name into the national dog registry and will have had one dose of vaccine (not sure which) and also a statement from the breeder's vet that the pup is in good shape.
Thanks for the tips

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Thank you. Very informative. So it's reasonable to take them out even before they complete their vaccines just minding not to get them in direct contact with other dogs?
I do have a little fenced garden for the first weeks if needed to let him have some outdoors time but of course walking around would be a lot more interesting for him :)
Absolutely no reason you can't carry them out and about with you, just avoid areas with lots of dogs. I also take mine out in the car so they get used to it and aren't a nuisance when I'm driving.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very good point !!!
Did it ever experience "car sickness" (or whatever you call that in English)?

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Very good point !!!
Did it ever experience "car sickness" (or whatever you call that in English)?
No, none of mine have ever been car sick, the one who likes the car the least is my rescue foxhound, other than that all of my other dogs, five in total, are absolutely fine in the car for whatever length journey. It's worthwhile getting them used to the car as pups, so they know just to settle in, I actually have a van at the minute which has two crates fastened in, and have two harnesses that attached to seat belts or fixed points within the van, so can transport all six at the same time if needed.

·
Administrator
20,904 Posts
I only ever had one sick in the car, and she was only sick about once. Mandy did over 500 miles to Scotland on holiday at 14 weeks old with no problem. This was her on the way to Selkirk. 1972, when I still had hair!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts