Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13 week old chocolate Labrador called Skye who fits very comfortably in my Mazda cx-3 now but I’m already thinking what will be my next more appropriate sized car for a full sized Labrador going to be. She would have to be in the boot when my daughter is in the back.
My other half seems pretty sure a Sportage won’t be big enough and we should be looking at estate cars but I’m just wondering has anyone got a Kia Sportage with a Labrador? Are they big enough?

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
I'm not sure about the current models, but I did have a friend a few years ago who had one and fit in a couple of Labrador sized dogs without problems. The best thing to do would be to go and look at one.

·
Administrator
22,241 Posts
Within reason, the smaller the space the better. It reduces the possibility of the dog being thrown about in an accident. But then, the smaller the car the more it tends to heat up in hot weather. Not too bad when moving, and most modern cars have air con, but of course none of that works when parked, so bare that in mind. My car is a very old Volvo estate, (new when I brought it) and have a tailored Barjo dog crate in there, with a padlock. I keep the padlock locked on one of the bars. I carry the key with my car keys so if I park in hot weather I can unlock the lock, lock it on the bolt then leave my tail gate open to let plenty of air in. By leaving it permanently locked means I cant lock my dogs in then find I dont have the key to unlock them! (Yes, I can be forgetful with keys as my neighbour will tell you from the times I've had to borrow the spare house key from her after locking myself out! I have her key and she has mine. ;) )

·
Registered
54 Posts
We have a Mitsubishi Airtrek and 2 of our dogs go in the back just fine and have done for long journeys.
Lando's a great big stonker of a lab. I'd say the Kia is bigger so.. It's fine

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Sorry I'm a bit late to this but..... as a Kia Sportage owner I can confirm they are ideal!!!

We actually have THREE who regularly travel in the boot of ours.
We have the rear parcel floor area set on level and no rear parcel shelf in (obviously!) and they all love it. Plenty of space to store our ramp in the rear passenger footwell and the A/C works a treat with rear vents meaning they're lovely and cool within 3 or 4 minutes of being on.

KIA do a custom made inlay with a fold out bit that protects the rear bumper (for ramp placement or dogs jumping in) and that is well worth the extra investment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Meg fits with plenty of room in my Niro, which is smaller than a sportage, so you will be fine 🙂
Yep! We have a Niro too, and it's definitely roomy for Freddie. I don't think the back is big enough for a crate but I've never explored the built-in options. Freddie just lays down to sleep in whatever car we bundle him into so it has never seemed necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts