Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this is the right place for this post but here goes anyway. I thought I would start a separate post otherwise it will get lost in the "New Addition" post.

Well the pups are 2.5 weeks old and here are a few of the things I am liking about them so far:-

There sheer chunkiness :D .

Otter tails - now my dogs don't have bad tails overall for Working Labs but I can certainly see the difference that the show blood has brought and I do like a proper tail :D

It would seem that we have lost the white chests. I can see some bolos but so far no white chests and no white toes.

Breadth of head and nose - much broader than my usual pups.

There is only one thing I am not so keen on so far and that is there sheer laziness. I am sure my Working Lab litters are much much more lively at this age. So once they are a little older I will be getting the toys out and whipping them into shape :wink: :D .

I am attempting to add a video of them "in action :roll: " to the New Additions thread but having a few technical problems at the moment!!!

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
It will be very interesting to see how they look at 8 weeks and then how they go on to develop... have you got many new owners who are going to show?

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I'm a big head fan Jill - so I would love some pictures. Shame about losing the chest blaze though as it is sort of your dogs mark.

Going off topic while looking up some of Cadbury's relations I found a gundog kennel where one of Cadbury's uncles is and as I scrolled down the page there is a fox red with a white chest and, lo and behold, yes it was an Ettismoor!

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now Sophie you have got me intrigued you have to tell me who? pm me if you like :D .

Rachel I will tell you when we get there. You never actually know until the little bundles are carried off to there new homes :D .

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I know the reason you are not keeping the bitch Jill, it would have been interesting to see how she would have worked compared to your pure working boys and girls :)

Are on any of the pups going to LF peeps, it would be lovely to see them develop as we have seen Finn and Harri etc

They will be lucky owners as the pups are gorgeous :D

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Aha! I am learning who's who among the dogs and I have certainly heard plenty about Darcy :D Leo looks a fine lad, very pleased that one of Cadbury's lot are sharing a kennel with an Ettismoor!

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I would just update this post as I notice things.

Today the pups have started to play a little so some toys have gone in.

I am also noticing that although they are all chunky the lighter yellows are definitely the chunkiest and the Fox Reds are less so. Hmmmmmm interesting :? .

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
I think its fascinating to see how the introduction of show blood has really changed things.

Thats interesting that the fox red pups are less chunkier than the yellows! You'll have to post some pics showing the difference.

·
Registered
515 Posts
intresting that you are seeing these differances because FTch Darleigh Thunderbolt is out of a 50-50 bred dam and his sire Ftch Craighorn Bracken is not known to throw Red hot Trial Dogs

?

·
0 Posts
I'm finding all these Halfie Halfie litters very interesting as that is how Mojo is bred.

In her litter there were very distinctive differences even at 3 weeks old. There were 3 big chunky, laid back "lazy" pups and 2 much finer and much more active/into everything pups. So it was more of a straight down the middle split, with some being just like Working bred mum and the others taking after Show bred Dad. By 7 weeks old the two types looked and acted as if they came from different litters.

Now as an adult, Mojo still takes much more after her Mum in looks and temperament but with a thicker tail, a bit broader in the chest and more undercoat....and I would love to find out what her chunky litter mates turned out like.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And I have to say that is why I really really do want to try to keep the bitch. It will be so interesting for me to see the comparison and then much later of course put her back to a red hot trial bred dog. (that's if I'm not past juggling all these dogs by then :roll: :wink: ).

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ettinsmoor said:
And I have to say that is why I really really do want to try to keep the bitch. It will be so interesting for me to see the comparison and then much later of course put her back to a red hot trial bred dog. (that's if I'm not past juggling all these dogs by then :roll: :wink: ).
i COULD adopt boots if you like :D this would help with kenneling and your juggling of dogs :wink:

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the little darlings are 3 weeks tomorrow and they have decided to get active in a big way today and they are starting to scrap between themselves and my slippers for that matter 8O .

Darcy is obviously doing them very well milk wise as they have not been that interested in anything else up to now, but from Sunday onwards I will start to help Darcy out much more seriously.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Bless Darcy being such a good mum, she really is a lovely girl who obviously adores you Jill :D ( and now her babies too :!: ). Do you have an idea what you are calling your wee girl :?:

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Ettinsmoor said:
It is still not 100% sure that I am keeping her Linda. I will let everyone know when I have finally decided.
I know it has been a hard time for you recently Jill when you dad died and I just hope that you make the right decision for you, though you still have another six to keep you busy :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts