Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I love this forum and really want to be a part of the community on here having read so much great advice to prepare me for the big day and everything that will follow.
When she's older I'll definitely be on the lookout for doggy days out and fellow lab lovers in the South Yorkshire/Derbyshire area.

Please meet the lovely Gemma :p Sorry for the crappy photo’s it’s the best my smartphone can manage. As you can see I haven't quite got the hang of resizing on IMGUR yet either :oops:

She was brought to her new home on Saturday making her 8 weeks and 3 days old as I write.
Her lineage is primarily working and both her parents are gundogs.

She's been doing ever so well taking to her new home.
She was great in the car on the long drive home (3 hours) in a fabric crate, very calm, no sickness and only had a panic half way when she needed to poop which I didn’t recognise the signs for, or able to do much about it anyway, so a quick stop for a clean-up and onward bound.
She was also an angel on her first trip to the vets.

I work from home but it's just me in the house so I felt that crating was essential to keep her out of harm’s way when I need to do the weekly shop and at bedtime etc.
I had to endure the stressed out whining the first night and checking on her every hour. 2nd night it was a mixture of stress and she got herself into a bit of a state by messing in her crate but that was my fault for not getting my schedule right. It’s a learning process every single day.
By her 3rd night she has come to accept being alone in her crate, and she only cried the house down at bedtime when needing letting out to do some business. I think I nearly have her schedule cracked, needing letting out at 2am and 5am but time will tell! Day 4 today she's starting to take herself to her crate to snooze which is a great result.

It’s been heck of a ride so far!

·
Super Moderator
15,716 Posts
awww she's lovely :) Welcome John and Gemma.
I'm guessing you live not far from me (north Derbyshire). We sometimes have GT's at Rother Valley Country Park

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the very warm welcome everybody it's very appreciated. :D

Gemma gives y'all a happy tail wag too :)
And a jump, and a bite, haha lol

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
xWendyx said:
awww she's lovely :) Welcome John and Gemma.
I'm guessing you live not far from me (north Derbyshire). We sometimes have GT's at Rother Valley Country Park
I will definately drop you a line about GT's when she's ready for that thank you! Yep North Derbyshire would be a very good guess :)

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Welcome to LF John! It sounds like Gemma's training of you has started very well, with a smart cookie on your hands you'll be kept on your toes!!

We're just south of Nottm so welcome to the East Midlands LF GT region too! Lots of lovely, loony, experienced hooliers within range for her to charge about with!! :)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Luna-Tuck said:
Welcome to LF John! It sounds like Gemma's training of you has started very well, with a smart cookie on your hands you'll be kept on your toes!!

We're just south of Nottm so welcome to the East Midlands LF GT region too! Lots of lovely, loony, experienced hooliers within range for her to charge about with!! :)
Thank you for the welcome and invite Luna-Tuck, I'm sure we'd love to join your GT's next year once Gemma matures and has learned some obedience basics and got some experience with walkies and the great outdoors. Looking to start puppy classes after Xmas. How fortunate we are to be in the middle of two GTs :D

Gemma had the runs last night, bless her, but still knew to wake me up for them. But I expect she'll have firmed up after her breaky. Zzzzzzzzzz......

1 - 20 of 38 Posts