Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our friends have asked us to look after their dog while they go home to America for two weeks over Christmas.

Mavis is a retired racing greyhound, very placid, needing minimal exercise. I get on really well with her and she usually chooses to sit with me when there's a group of us around her house. She tolerates Freddie, our bouncy 6-month old labmaraner but isn't interested in playing.

Are we crazy for considering this?
Any tips for introducing her into our (Freddie's!) house temporarily?
Anything we should be thinking about?

·
Administrator
22,047 Posts
I would introduce them on neutral territory. Maybe you and your friend go out for a short walk and let them run together, with you then taking all the leads and walking them home to your house. It might also be a good idea trying it for an over nighter before the event, just to see how it goes. It would give you chance to plan.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @JohnW

We've had Mavis to stay twice now and it's been fine both times.

I've realised over those stays that she doesn't know to play. Training kennels from an early age does that to a dog I guess. So Freddie wants her to join in and she hasn't got a clue. Their play looks very aggressive but they seemed to enjoy it.

Freddie has taught her to enjoy a paddle in the stream, while she showed him the value of just sleeping through everything. They even travelled together in the back of our Smart car for trips out to more interesting walk locations. I don't want a greyhound, but she's been a joy and I'm sure we'll have her to stay again.

Cloud Sky Dog Working animal Carnivore

1 - 3 of 3 Posts