Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - bit of a sad first post. I have a 10 year old Labrador called Dawson. We thought he was as fit as a fiddle - energetic and enjoying 3 good walks a day - two of them off lead running around like a lunatic with his doggy mates. At the weekend he became lethargic, off his food. To cut a long story short our vet wasn’t sure what was wrong and sent him to Ralph’s in Marlow where he was diagnosed with a tumour on his heart. They said with major heart surgery and chemo they might be able to give him a few months more but we were not willing to put him through that. They’ve drained away all the fluid that was making him feel so ill and he’s back home with us. Vet says he’ll be ‘nearly normal’ for a few days (12 max) before the symptoms return. As soon as he shows signs of pain or discomfort we will have him put down. The vet said we were doing the right thing not going for the op and chemo (surprised they offered to do it) but we still feel awful. I’ve been through this before having had dogs but for my husband and (adult) kids it’s the first time and it’s hit us all hard. Anyway - he’s fine at the moment. We brought him home yesterday and he was keen to go for walks though we are keeping him on the lead or he would want to play with other dogs. My dog walking friends brought special treats to the park for him and we have abandoned dog food and are giving him chicken, beef etc. He had a good sleep last night and was ready for his usual walk this morning.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Sorry to hear the sad news, I lost my old girl a few months ago and it really is heart breaking. In a sad way, I was glad she went without a lot of prior illness, she had shown no signs of being really poorly, and gone from her usual plod to not moving for nearly 24 hours. I think you're right in not putting him through such a huge procedure, just make as many good memories as you can now, loads of fusses and special treats.

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
I'm so sorry to read this. I know how hard it is to make the right decision. But I believe you have made it. I turned down an operation to remove a tumour for my Amy because of age, I did not think she would survive the operation. Although in her case I was lucky in that she survived for almost another two years before the inevitable.

However hard it is, try to be bright and cheerful for him. 🧡

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes - we are carrying on as normal - but with extra treats! He is very excited that we are all walking him together - usually it’s me and maybe one other. We’d like to take him for a last swim in The Thames but it’ll have to be a paddle on the lead in a local stream instead.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Anything is a bonus, loads of cuddles as well, that's something I miss with my old girl but thankfully have the rest of my gang to help make up for them xx

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had our boy put to sleep today. He had 2 good weeks with us after diagnosis of a heart tumour - seeing his doggy mates every day in the park and having lots of treats. We knew it was coming and I was dreading it. He was always anxious at the vet but today he was calm and composed and I think he knew. I was cradling his head and he was still feebly wagging his tail. Absolutely heartbroken. My son is 29 and has Aspergers syndrome and in the ten years we had Dawson his social skills have improved enormously. It’s easy for him to talk to people of all ages if they have dogs in common. Will be looking for a lab puppy soon but Few and far between at the moment by all accounts.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Had our boy put to sleep today. He had 2 good weeks with us after diagnosis of a heart tumour - seeing his doggy mates every day in the park and having lots of treats. We knew it was coming and I was dreading it. He was always anxious at the vet but today he was calm and composed and I think he knew. I was cradling his head and he was still feebly wagging his tail. Absolutely heartbroken. My son is 29 and has Aspergers syndrome and in the ten years we had Dawson his social skills have improved enormously. It’s easy for him to talk to people of all ages if they have dogs in common. Will be looking for a lab puppy soon but Few and far between at the moment by all accounts.
I'm sorry to hear you had to say your goodbyes, but at least you know he was ready, it doesn't make it easier at all, but it makes it a little bit less difficult to bear the loss.

Unfortunately, because of lockdown, a lot of people have decided to get a puppy, including a lot of those who don't really have the time or finances, and these pups are now starting to be rehomed, either privately or through rescue. Good breeders for the most part, have put plans on hold, not least because some of the health testing schemes aren't accessible at the moment. I would give it a good few months until you start seriously searching for a puppy xx

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
So sorry for your loss. I'm sure Dawson and your family made many fabulous memories over those 10 years. Losing them is heartbreaking but you showed him the last act of kindness and he has not suffered or lingered. I too had to help my 9 year old girl Millie over the bridge in May. I am grateful I was her lasting memory as I held her. I'm sure Dawson will have felt comfort from you being there too.
Tarimoor is very right, as the rescues start to open up, and people return to work, there will be many unwanted labradors. Register with a few if you can and hopefully when you're ready to offer a home to another lab, you'll find a new family member.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We’ve been looking for a lab pup and I’m pretty shocked at the prices people are asking. I had a notification from the Kennel Club website this morning that there was a new litter. 6 girls, 7 boys. I emailed the breeder - no response yet but my daughter found an ad from the breeder on Pets4homes and she’s charging £3000 each and sold 12 already! She also breeds pugs and Pekingese so that set alarm bells ringing. No thanks. Also somebody on the same website was selling a 6 month old lab because their work hours had changed. £500. I messaged to enquire about health checks - no response but I notice the price has gone up to £950! I have contacted breeders directly and have found one I am happy with who is waiting for a bitch to come into season and will be breeding from her imminently. I would rather be patient than ripped off. I would avoid sites like Pets4homes like the plague. Everyone seems to want a deposit although all over the site there are warnings about not sending deposits! Apologies for the rant.

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
Quite frankly, the fact that the litter is advertised on Pets4homes to me makes it a big no no! It's the outlet for the less responsible breeder. Touch and bargepole are two words that spring to mind. And lets fact it, you are looking to buy a pup, not take part in a Dutch auction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found the breeder with the 13 pups on the kennel club website - my daughter just happened to spot the name onPets4homes - she is desperate for another pup and I am telling her we need to be patient. On a lighter note now that I am temporarily dogless I am putting food out for the birds. My elderly cat is in the back garden casually eating bread with the wood pigeons!

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
Sadly the KC are not very good at policing their approved breeders. Where ever you look it's very much "Let the buyer beware." It's sad really and should not be like that, but. . . . . . . .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts