Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry:
My 2 year old yellow lab died suddenly this weekend. He swallowed a rock (we think it must have been this past Thursday but we really don't know when he did it), Friday night he was fine. My husband said he was acting a little funny, wouldn't take his snack, etc. but he still seemed to have his energy etc., so we didn't think much about it. Well, when we woke up Saturday morning he was lying on the floor extremely dehydrated, did not want to move, was breathing rapidly, legs shaky. When he would get up to walk the was dragging his feet and his back legs would not bend, they like went stiff, this is when I called my vet immediately and got an appointment that morning.
We brought my beautiful Mojo in and after waiting another half hour after our scheduled appointment Mojo began deteriorating rapidly. The vet said he couldn't get a proper heartbeat because his heart was beating so fast. Mojo got his strength up and walked back to the vets room to get weighed, but as soon as he stepped off the scale he literally just laid back down and he looked llike he was going to die.
The vet took an Xray and found there was an object (a rock) lodged in his intestines and there were massive gases that were built up in his chest. We decided to have the vet do surgery although he wasn't sure if he would make it through the surgery we thought it best to give our dog a chance at living.
He made it through the surgery and the vet said that he seem kind of alert, although he was medicated up and everything. However there was still a chance that he could still die because he had internal bleeding during the surgery and his blood was poisoned from his organs basically shutting down. We got a call this morning (sunday the 13th) that Mojo did not make it through the night.
Needless to say we are extremely devastated by this incident. How can my healthy, beautiful, vibrant and extremely energetic dog be dead within a period of 10 hours? I just can't believe it. Has anybody had any experience with intestinal blockage and does anyone know what percentage of dogs survive the surgery?
I can't seem to find much information on this, I've heard that there have been owners whose dogs seem fine, then 10 hours later they find them dead due to a blockage of the intestine tract.
I have a hard time thinking this is some freak unfortunate incident that has happened to my dog, I wish there were some other people I could talk to about this.
Thanks for listening.
Kim :(

·
Registered
286 Posts
My condolences for your loss. Intestinal blockages happen to labs a lot. My 13 year old Lab Red was in relative good health when his stomach twisted resulting in bloat. Three hours later he was dead. The sudden unexpected loss of a beloved Lab is devastating.

Intestinal blockages are somewhat common as Labs will try to eat just about anything. Sometimes surgery is successful sometimes not. Every blockage is different.

You may wish to read www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-39.html

HTH

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't have experiences with blockages but I wanted to offer my condolences as well. We lost our first dog Annie, a lab cross, suddenly and it was devastating so I really sympathise with you.

I hope you can find a little bit of comfort knowing there are people here who care and understand how difficult it is to lose a friend.

I'll be thinking of you. Please take care....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry to hear this Kim. I know exactly how you feel. I have not lost a Lab to a blockage yet. I did however lose my beloved seven year old unexpectantly last fall. I still cry every week over him. I will tell you right now to go get another pup soon. I got another one soon after and I am so glad I have Angus here to fill the void. He does not take the place of the dearly beloved one I had but he has helped with my grief just by being here for me. I know how Labs are, my little guy eats everything in sight. You have to watch them every minute. You can be so careful and things still happen. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this sad time. Brenda

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you and update

I thank all of you for your kind words. Well, it has been about 3 days now with Mojo gone and I seem to have gotten over the "shock" stage of his death being so sudden. It is still hard going home, even though I have another dog, Mojo's presence and evervessence for life is definately missed.
I did talk to the veternarian yesterday, he said that it wasn't just the rock that blocked his intestines that killed him, but that Mojo had an organism in his stomach called Clostridium Perfringens Enterotoxicosis, which is an organism found in nearly everything and left on its own it can cause diaherrea in dogs. My vet said a lot of dogs have this in their stomachs, but because of the blockage, gases built up in Mojo's stomach, he wasn't able to go to the bathroom, etc. so this organism took advantage of the situation and caused havoc on his inside causing him to hemmorage. It destroyed his intestinal walls, where most dogs can have a part of the intestine removed if necessary, he would have had to have the entire thing removed because the tissues were just destroyed.
The reason he did not survive after the surgery was because of the organism causing a hemmorage that just could not be stopped.
Mojo had a double whammy against him, this is hard to take, he could have survived had it been just the rock but the combination of the rock and the organisms spreading were just too much for him to handle.
Mojo showed no signs of symptoms, he did vomit once on Friday night but I did not find the vomit until Saturday morning and he appeared in good spirits Friday night. He vomited his food and green bile, which is a very very bad sign for a dog. If your dog ever vomits green bile get him to the vet immediately.
Thank you all again for your kind words, they have helped me a lot during this hard time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your dog Mojo. The only reason I found this forum because my dog has been sick today and I noticed he was acting funny late last night. It turns out we think he ate one of my mom's small sock-pantyhose. He has thrown up a few times today already and I'm wondering if he will be OK. I don't know if I should wait a day or so and see if he passes it, or (after hearing some of these horror stories) call the vet immediately. If anyone has any suggestions please reply. Thank you. Brian

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Brian
It may pass through but it could also cause problems. Personally, I would call your vet immediately (most have an emergency surgery) and at least speak to them. Let them know her condition and any symptoms she has. If they feel it's not necessary to bring her in, they will tell you the symptoms to look for.
Hope he's ok.
HTH :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In reply to Brian and his sock eating dog

Brian:

In my opinion, if I would have had a chance to see any symptoms and bring my dog to a vet I would wish for anything to have helped my Mojo, in my case I didn't have a chance to do that. I would call the vet immediately and bring your dog in and at least have them take an xray. In Mojo's case the Xray showed the rock was 1 1/2 inches from passing but it was stuck because his intestines were swollen.
Don't take your chances if you KNOW that your dog has swallowed something and he is now acting funny, bring her/him to the vet and have them take a look.

Hope this helps, good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello Kim,

I know its a few weeks since your beloved Mojo died but i have only just come aross your message. How are you doing?
Our 5 month old bitch Heidi died on 14th Feb. not of a blockage but of suspected parvo. She was with us for only 5 days when she fell poorly. the vets put her on a drip but she didn't pull through.
Like you i just needed to talk to someone about heidi. we still beat ourselves up about it, what has she eaten? we shouldn't have taken out to meet other dogs so soon after having her, if we hadn't had her she might be still alive, the list goes on.
But what we did do was to fetch a chocolate lab pup. Shes name Beth She has helped us with our grief, but of cause she will never replace our little angle, Heidi.
Have you thought of getting another lab?
our thoughts are with you.

Janet

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reply to Janet

Hi Janet,
Thanks for emailing/posting me. Yes, it has now been 3 weeks since Mojo died. I'm doing ok and we did get another dog. The house was just TOO quiet without a second dog around, Mojo had such energy his absence made everything SOOO quiet and lonely. I'm sorry to hear about your dog dying of Parvo. I'm glad you found it in your heart to get another dog though. We ended up going to our local humane society/animal shelter and adopted a bitch who is half yellow lab and half border collie. She was a stray and we suspect she is about 2-3 years old, however we are not sure. She really is the sweetest little girl in the world and I feel better knowing I am giving a deserving dog a home, I HATE seeing dogs in the pound you know? I know that we did everything for Mojo, I wish I could have done more of course, but he did not give us any signs that anything was wrong! You can only do what you can do, we had him go through the surgery knowing he might not make it, but we wanted to try none the less.
There is a great site, you may already know about, it is called Rainbows Bridge....for those pets who have passed away. My Mojo has a page there, please feel free to visit it. there is also a pet loss forum wher eyou can go to post messages if you need to talk to someone, the site has been a great comfort to me. Mojos web address to the residency is below. Have a nice day! :p

http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Mojo002/resident.HTM

Kim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Loss of a loved one

:( I'm sorry to hear about your sad loss. I too lost my beloved Lacey on 4th February this year. She was 14 and I'd had her for 12 years. She started to be ill in the middle of November and despite the vets best efforts she just went downhill after Christmas. At the end, he thought she had a tumour on her liver.

I still miss her like mad. I know how you feel

Lacey's mum

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Kim
I have been on the Rainbowbridge site. What a wonderful idea. Had another good cry! We had to have Heidi cermated. Her ashes are scattered on the garden of remeberance at our local pet cemetery in Uttoxeter stafford. so we will go a visit soon.
On a cheerier note our puppy beth is keeping us and our other dogs on our toes and giving us hours of laughter.

Janet

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Janet ----

Janet:

Sounds like your Heidi came from a very loving home. We also had Mojo cremated, we scattered part of his ashes up at the "dog run" it is a 2 mile trail at the top of the bluffs/park where dogs are allowed to run without leashes and needless to say Mojo was never leashed trained because we always brought him up there! There are lots of big boulders, rocks, etc. so I know he is up there. He also had dug about 20 holes in the bottom of my back yard so I was out doing yard work last weekend (we had some beautiful weather let me tell you!) and I decided to put a bunch of his ashes in all of the holes before I filled them in. I still have some ashes left, I think we will keep some in the house in a small container. I am thinking about getting a shadow box to put his picture in and display his collar and a bunch of his rocks I found around the house, sort of like a memorial to him, I think it will be nice.
Hope you are doing well. Yes, the Rainbows Bridge site is wonderful, the woman who started it really has a kind heart.
Kim O.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Laceys mum

Lacey's Mum:

I'm sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your Lacey. It sounds like she lived a very long life though and I'm sure you are grateful for the time you had with her!

Kim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts