Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only ever used petplan and was wondering which companies you would recommend. Who offers competative rates and who in your experiences are hassle free for paying when required? I used to insure my horses with E &L and had a nightmare when it came to paying out. Although I've used petplan before I never had any need to have them pay for anything. Should I stick with petplan or would you guys recommend a different company?

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Petplan are about the most expensive I think, but I think they also have one of the best reputations.

E&L seem to have as bad a reputation in the pet insurance world as in the equine, so I would stay clear!

(Disclaimer: in my non insurance broker/expert opinion)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I've been told the same re:petplan, that they are one of the more expencive but are reliable. As I need to renew my ragdoll cats insurances and what with my new lab who will hopefully be shown if she enjoys it and is good enough I thought I'd ask to see if any others were recommended as reliable :)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
axa are good - they were brilliant when they used to underwrite M & S. so i've moved one of mine to axa as M & S had a large excess once my dog reached 9 years old (axa are only a £70 excess)

if your dog has no pre existing conditions it's worth shopping around but go for good cover (£7,000) and life cover

a friend has their rottie with direct line and found them to be good

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Both More Than and M&S come highly recommended - and their premiums are usually considerably less than Pet Plan.

You mentioned showing - I don't know if the long term plan is to maybe breed from her - but - if it is, this is also something to bear in mind, as some high street insurers will not cover dogs used in breeding - More Than do as confirmed by one of their technical managers recently after some confusion on here and their website - although obviously, they don't cover breeding related conditions - just something worth bearing in mind now if it might be a consideration later - bearing in mind, if you did have to claim for anything, it could be harder to switch.

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is my first experience with insuring pets and I went with Direct Line for Sophie.

Put a claim in last year for a sickness related issue and they paid up with no problems at all.

They were also receptive to a discount on the second year premium.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I use Axa and they paid out quickly no quibbles for £500 worth of x rays and blood tests on Lincoln..and I think I have got great cover for him.

I did have my cats with PetPlan and they have also been good in the past but as the cats have got older the cost was getting too high, so swapped them to Tesco..and luckily havent had to claim from them yet :)

G

·
My four-year old cat is currently insured by PetPlan and has been since we got her. We've only ever claimed once, yet our premiums have gone up year-on-year. I just got the latest quote and it's gone up again, which I'm not happy about. If she was older, perhaps, or we'd claimed lots, I could understand it. So I'm very interested in this thread, and seeing which other insurance companies people recommend as I suspect I won't stay with PetPlan for much longer.

Ruby is insured through the Kennel Club, but again am interested to see what other people recommend for dogs as, obviously, HD/ED are concerns for the future and we need to make sure when we renew next year that we're with a company who will provide cover should she end up with either of those problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts